Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by xerxes
Hi GP

no offense but the way you explain this is not entirely DIR.

DIR does'nt promote only the correct length but also usage of standardized ports! This combination is fully DIR. But even George Irvine is using the Apeks ATX100. I emailed him about this matter and answer was: you can use for the back-up : 1/2"port and for the longhose use the 3/8"standard port.

Have fun, xerxes
Xerxes, no offense taken but if Irvine himself says you can use the 1/2" port for the backup then the DIR 3/8" standardized port thing must not be that big of a deal. Also, what's the reasoning for using the 1/2" port for the backup reg? In my case I have the TX-50 and ATX-40 second stages along with a DST first stage. I use the long hose configuration which has both my primary and backup hoses coming around my right side. It made no sense to me to plug the 1/2" port which of course is on the right side just to keep it standard. I thought it would kinda suck to use a 3/8" port on the left side and put unwanted stress on the hose to get it to come from the left side back around to my right side. Just my thoughts.:)

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
GP,

The 1/2" port really shouldn't be used, since it's not standard. Adding an adapter is actually a bad thing, in my opinion, since the 1/2" port has no real advantage over the 3/8" port, ESPECIALLY when adapted for use with a standard 3/8" hose! Most of my crowd just plugs the 1/2" port.

- Warren
Yeah...I can see how keeping it standard is better but as I said in my previous reply to Xerxes it doesn't make sense to me to plug it and have to use a 3/8" port from the left side and put unwanted stress on the hose to get it to come back around my right side.

Hello list;

i read the list again and i have still some comments to make:

- Jarhad: warren G is right! Rodales' evaluation sucks. They have nt the exprience OR THE ABILITY TO TEST THESE REGS TO THEIR LIMITS! DONT FORGET THIS!! THIS IS WHERE WKPP COMES AND SHINES ! ALSO IMPORTANT IS THAT A REG. HAS TO PROOVE IT'S RELIABILITY IN TIME! (DS4's and MK20's)

And i also dont understand the comparision between a Ferrarie and a normal car! I dont know excactly the prices in the US but here the Mares abbys even without a CWD kit is more expensive then a good Zeagle or Apeks tx50 that is FAR more superior reg. So apeks/zeagle is indeed cheaper. Remember that NO REG. is too technical. This is a misconception! I heard someone wants to buy a reg for his son: why not buy a reg that is better when buying something that supports your life!? This reg is not only a TOOL!? :confused: this is your link (sometimes yes ;under heavy, demanding situations and agressive enviroments ) with life! You dont want crap when you are doing these things.
And yes if there was a better reg. coming out tomorrow i would buy it and tell EVERYONE that there is a better reg. out in market but there is not one that is better at this moment.

If you had been listening you would by now known why Mares sucks. Warren is been listing a complete reference / manual for you with reasons and drawbacks of Mares! And still you wont listen and want explaination? What do you want ? Are you one of these guys that at the end says: "i know your reasons are better and my ways suck but i do my way anyway?"Go buy your self a reg. book. I suggest the book from http://www.airspeedpress.com/

This book is an eyeopener. Do you homework and do some serious research and i am sure ! the next time this discussion starts YOU!!! will open the fire on Mares!

Everyone has been asking for the drawbacks of the Apeks reg. This reg. (DS4) is almost flawless. Except the tx versions which have the non standard port there are no real complaints. I have also two of these newer regs.(Atx200's). I contacted Landon (Apeks) about this: the very next reg. that will be designed will have ALL STANDARD ports!

( Oh yes THERE IS one big complaint: Apeks' BC's SUCKS! :) See ? :D )

The problem with mares line is : they design things that work REALLY REALLY GREAT ABOVE water but work REALLY REALLY BAD beneath water! Example and elaboration? MARES DRAGONFLY AIRTRIM AND MARES HUB. One big mess!
We dont care what you buy to dive with but in the end it is your money that you are spending! Dont get fooled by salesman and advertisement! Mares is a very strong company that also supports alot instructors with alot discounts with their products! Yes the REC. instructors (with all respect for the well trained and well eduacted REC instructors ) in Indonesia etc for instance. Noway that Mares regs. get a foot in WKPP!!! Even not if they sponsored twice as heavily as Apeks does! With reason!

BTW: Aqualungs regs. look nice and breathe nice (i like them , the old big and reliable Glacia for instance and the newer ones also and i was impressed to be honest)also but these are also not the real thing when going into tech. diving.

He guys please remember this post thread when someone else comes in and asks for the drawbacks of the Mares regs. This could become a classical work! :wink: 9th of Juli 2002 :D

Have fun everyone, Xerxes

p.s. forgive me for the syntaxis...

Hi GP

Especially important when using doubles: buy the DS4! Otherwise the TX100 or the tx200 but perf. the DS4 not the tx50! for doubles! These are not DIR! (swivel turret, check previous posts please).

When using a single: the lonhose 7foot , notthing less and nothting more (except when doing rec dives you can use other hoses like 1.5meter sorry dont know the US meassures), on the 3/8 "port!! IT IS A IMPORTANT ISSUE ! the back up is not used that much i think. But if you wanna know for sure drop a line at www.DIRQUEST.com . abouth these matter. Standardizing is one the important things ofcourse. But check my previous long post with the good news from Apeks (Landon)

Keep it wet and have fun, xerxes

Originally posted by xerxes
Hi GP

When using a single: the lonhose 7foot , notthing less and nothting more (except when doing rec dives you can use other hoses like 1.5meter sorry dont know the US meassures), on the 3/8 "port!! IT IS A IMPORTANT ISSUE ! the back up is not used that much i think.
I just went and looked at my first stage and now I understand why Irvine said to use the 1/2" port for the backup. It's the first port on the right side and it naturally makes sense to use the one closest for the shorter hose. I just broke out my wrenches and switched them around.:)

BTW people who equate Mares lack of adjustment with being "automatic" are deluding themselves. Automatic to me means the thing does the adjustment for me - like a balanced reg! - not that it just doesn't permit any adjustment. Sort of the difference between a auto and fixed focus camera. The Mares regs have no adjustments, and aren't even balanced. It's amazing how much performance Mares has been able to get out of the design, but functionally the 2nds are identical to my 1970 Voit

Automatic to me is no free flow at surface, same ease of breathing at 10 ft., 100 ft., or 160 ft. with no hands.

I think we should look at it as the result of a system who's component parts work together to make this possible: first stage, second stage, and connecting hose. I'll exclude tank pressure here.

Anyways, Graham started this thread asking for opinions on regulators and instead he gets nothing but biased opinion from the Apeks fanatics who happpen to be Mares haters too.

There is a lot of good information on this forum but unfortunately a lot of biased - I know better than you - opinions preached as gospel.

Almost none of you Apeks freaks can even admit to any minor drawback on your "perfect" Apeks regs. When someone finally admits one you immediately minimize the impact while ranting and raving about that lousy Mares mouthpiece and that lousy Mares hose. Do you all like the color of that perfect Apeks hose? How about the size of those perfect Apeks bubbles? I won't even mention how that perfect Apeks mouthpiece fits every perfect Apeks divers mouth just - "perrrrfectly" :D

Your blind bias is actually doing the product you love a dis-service, because anyone who has a bubble of common sense will likely dismiss your claims and seek info elsewhere. Just go back and read what you write.

Of course we all know theres plenty of senseless bubbles floating around the deep blue see.

Good point...guess its not nice to throw stones based on bias, opinions, etc.

Hmmm, I guess maybe something can be learned here!

Mares haters?
Apeks fanatics?

Since when has regulator preference been a gang activity?

I don't think any of us here are "fanatics" who can't admit to any "imperfections" in their regulators.

There's only one dumb "feature" on Apeks regs. It was put there to give the diver an option. Many of us would prefer not to even have the option.

On the other hand, there are at LEAST five or six major glaring problems with pretty much all other regs. (ScubaPro and AquaLung, we seem to agree, are pretty damn good regs, too.)

So we prefer our regs to have as few drawbacks as possible. Does that mean we're fanatics, or that we have common sense?

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG

Since when has regular preference been a gang activity?

ROTFLMAO!!:DLook out man...we got the Apeks gang vs the Mares gang all packin' heat and ready for a shootout. :boom:

Originally posted by Scuba446
Well, if they are SO good, why aren't many tech divers that I have ever read posts from on here using them?

Mate I am a Tech Diver
My Mares Ruby's have done me very well in all condidtions at all Depths 200ft+. They are fantastic Regs and until you have tried them and compared them to others maybe you should pull your head in !!

I have Used Scuba Pro, Apeks, Mares and Posiden, all have there benefits and drawbacks.
The best way is go out testing for yourself and find the ones that suit YOU !!!!

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT

Back
Top Bottom