Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know where some guys get their info.
Mares preforms very well.
I dive with Mares Obyss on Nitrox in 52-56 degrees, and never had a problem.
I dove with Scubapro before and I like Mares much better.

Wow - you guys sure got going while I was away. :wallpeek:

Anyway - call me a sheep - but I ended up (back)ordering a couple of ATX200's. Seems like a pretty safe bet but I will let you know.

Thanks for the good info (and the entertainment.....)

Graham

Thats what we're here for, mate!

A bit late, but tried to share an unbiased opinion.

Regs have come a long way. Modern regs are generally reliable. Otherwise we'd have a lot less divers and a lot more lawsuits against manufacturers.

I use Mares regs and have had no problems. Haven't done cartwheels underwater, but inverted or facing up, no problems. 40 degrees with no free-flows unlike all the other Aqualung Titan divers in the water (the instructor actually warned the divers that they would experience freeflow at depth). Mares regs are an excellent choice for a rec diver.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably spend the extra money for an Apeks setup. Because they are excellent regs with undisputable credentials, and I want to be a SHEEP. The reason I didn't choose Apeks at the time was simply becuase I knew nothing of DIR, tight on cash and the TX regs were huge.

Just some quick comments to the objections: Someone mentioned stiff hoses... replace them. Hose routing... a typical rec diver won't care. No adjustments... one less worry for the rec diver. Freeflow, turn the reg down, let the venturi system work. At 115', no discernable decrease in performance. If you're breating higher concentrations of O2, everyone should know not to use a Ti reg.

Oh, and the last I heard Scubapro was a no-no for WKPP divers. Which would make the SP regs trash. I've also heard that Aqualung is using more Apeks design in their regs. Hopefully, it's not the other way around.

I'm switching to Apeks regs in the next few months. Yes, should have done it right in the first place. I still have full confidence in the Mares regs which will be passed along to my girflried. Yes, I do like her, so I'm not loking for a way to get rid of her. But in all honesty, for the type of diving she does the Mares regs are fine. For more technical divers, Apeks is the only way to go.

As always, ask a lot of questions before investing. Express the type of diving you expect to pursue so you get what's appropriate. An OW diver shouldn't expect to perform overhead dives where ambient light can't reach.

Good luck with your new regs.

Diverna

" If I had to do it again, I'd probably spend the extra money for an Apeks setup. Because they are excellent regs with undisputable credentials, and I want to be a SHEEP."

Well is this word SHEEP an acronym or the real word SHEEP? Because i dont like SHEEP people! DIR also does nt like SHEEPS. Always know WHY you are doing / buying something!

"Just some quick comments to the objections: Someone mentioned stiff hoses... replace them. Hose routing... a typical rec diver won't care. "

That someone would be me. A typical diver can become a tech diver! As you are becoming one as i understand now. Or maybe you are moving toward DIR diving. And a good rec diver or a good DIR rec diver SHOULD ALSO consider a smooth and neat hosing! This is one the IMPORTANT concepts of DIR diving. You should have know this by now! Now that you are becoming DIR diver. BTW : Did you read "the fundamentels of DIR diving? " by Jarrod Jablonski?
And did you read the OTHER reasons that other people said ? Why a Apeks reg is better?
hose routing
HP seat design
work of breathing vs. IP
breathing in different postures
MTBF

READ the comments of Warren G and Jarhead.

"Oh, and the last I heard Scubapro was a no-no for WKPP divers. Which would make the SP regs trash"

SP is not trash but :
SP is expensive compared to Apeks. Also in durability and maitainance compared to Apeks. That is the reason that many WKPP'ers dislike SP including GI. THat is one of the reasons that i choose for Apeks regs. One other word: "EVERYTHING that you hear outside the quest is not officially DIR and therefor not 100% reliable"

Aqualung is using more Apeks design in their regs. Hopefully, it's not the other way around.

Yes unfortunatly this can be true. Lets hope that this will not be the case. I will contact Landon about this matter and keep you informed.

"I'm switching to Apeks regs in the next few months. Yes, should have done it right in the first place"

Good point you are making here :wink:

. ..........[cut] For more technical divers, Apeks is the only way to go.

Yep, again true.

"An OW diver shouldn't expect to perform overhead dives where ambient light can't reach."

No no no! This is a misconception! Again no reg is too "technical" for any diver! And a rec diver can also find him self in a difficult overhead situation. Like low visibility and strong currents and cold waters, night ......where the reg has to be excellent. Shall i name some other reasons to convince you? :)

Why not buy the best reg in the first place that is cheaper also? Logic...

Have fun, Xerxes

HAVE to respond to this one....

My original use of the word SHEEP contained more than a little irony. It appears to me that sheep are not compliant enough for DIR where EVERYTHING is totally proscribed - zombies would work better. :jester:

Seriously though - I've read Jarrod's book. It contains some very good advice but reads more like some fundementalist religious tract than an 'educational' document.

My (future) profile is a warm water recreational diver - less than 100' - having fun - carefully. I will take what I feel works for me from DIR (the concept of keeping it simple for one) but leave the dogma for cave divers (where it makes complete sense).

In the big picture DIR will come and go in the same way as other 'total solutions'. It will definitely add much value to the sport (certainly more than HUB........) but it is taking itself way too seriously for me at the moment. I am always cautious of solutions that claim to be the ONLY way. The world tends to be more complex than that.

So - as a partial believer - I will go for a backpack but get a Seaquest Balance rather than the 'proscribed' BP Wings. etc.

Graham

Grajan,

Oh, for Pete's sake. JJ's book reads more like a religious tract than an educational reference? Those in the literary world agree that anyone can have any interpretation of any work they'd like -- but only a subset of those interpretations are actually supported by the language used in the work. The rest are mere fiction invented by the reader.

I can't find a single reference to any kind of religious-like fervor in JJ's book. I can't find a single statement of zealotry. I can't find a hint of the arrogance and paranoia typefied by GI3.

I challenge you: please show me the words in JJ's book that lead you to this conclusion. Most divers applaud JJ's book for getting DIR's points across WITHOUT the zealotry so common on internet forums -- like this one. I'd love to see what you consider zealotry.

- Warren

You insult people while you dont even know what you are talking abouth.
Well if DIR is so bad ? Why are you listening to them anyway?

"Seriously though - I've read Jarrod's book. It contains some very good advice but reads more like some fundementalist religious tract than an 'educational' document."

Nonsens, give some REAL proof.

My (future) profile is a warm water recreational diver - less than 100' - having fun - carefully. I will take what I feel works for me from DIR (the concept of keeping it simple for one) but leave the dogma for cave divers (where it makes complete sense).

You are pretending that you understand DIR. You dont understand anything yet otherwise you would have known that DIR builds everything on the BASICS that begins with REC diving en REC equipment. So as much as DIR applys to Caves it also applys to open water dives.

"In the big picture DIR will come and go in the same way as other 'total solutions'. It will definitely add much value to the sport (certainly more than HUB........) but it is taking itself way too seriously for me at the moment. I am always cautious of solutions that claim to be the ONLY way. The world tends to be more complex than that. "

Again nonsens and you dont know what you are talking about.
The person who compares HUB with DIR does nt only understand anything abouth DIR but also knows nothing abouth diving at all. Even the dumbest imbecile person understands the difference between these two.
For your info:
DIR has existed for years now and will continue to exsit since many agencies (and goverments) seeing the benefits of DIR. DIR has passed invalueable knowdledge and techniques to the Diving community. And it is still doing so.

So - as a partial believer - I will go for a backpack but get a Seaquest Balance rather than the 'proscribed' BP Wings. etc.

Again this proofs that you dont understand DIR. A complete combination of solutions will do the job. BTW who cares what junk you are going to buy.

Go get your self some good info and readings and come back then here, insulting people or if you have learned something by then, for a discussion.

xerxes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom