Mares Regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captndan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i am looking to buy my first regulator and wanted to get some opinions. divers supply sells refurbished mares V16 proton metal regulators for a good price. has anyone ever used this reg or a mares reg in general? any pros/cons or suggestions for a similar small/lightweight reg would be great. thanks!

I have a v16 metal, and am pretty happy with it. I've taken it to about 80', and it seems to breathe well at all those depths. I've also noticed that I don't ever end up with a dry mouth when diving with it...something I dislike about a lot of other plastic regs. I also like how there is no bubble interference when facing down- they all get routed behind your ears.

I've heard some people say that the purge button on it is "stiff," and in comparison to other regs I've used, it is kind of. However, the amount of pressure needed to purge it is still negligible enough that it doesn't make a difference when you need it.

Basically, I really like mine- hasn't given me any problems. I just wish I'd seen that deal online when I bought mine :wink:

Good luck!

I have had a V-16 Proton Metal since last Summer. After about 50 dives, I find it excellent. It was advertised to help fend off dry mouth and throat, and it seems to do that. Breathes as good at 120 feet as at 20. Mine was new from Divers Direct at $249. It was normally about $400, but the price went down as the first stage appears to be discontinued. It compares to regulators costing a lot more.

Capt.:

I noticed Diver's Supply has the Limited Edition Proton regulator, refurbished, for the same price. Mares came out with a "deluxe" series of gear, maybe last year. That black regulator was in that group. It was expensive, and may not have sold well due to that. It may be worth asking them about.

Stu.

I have a Proton Ice and it has been rock solid and easy breathing to 120ft. No freeze up after immersion in 39deg water (though none of the piston regs present froze either).

I bought the Mares Abyss and Rebel Octo in the Czech republic.
I dive in Thailand with it.
Happy with the Abyss
The Rebel free flows, I had it twice at the local Mares center.
After the second service in 10 dives (of course the let me pay for it) they told me that the problem still exists because one part is faulty from the factory and it needs a retrofit. This retrofit I can get for free where I bought it or for free, just charging me the shipping costs here.
So they already charged me for 2 service on a new Octo which did not help.
There for free, just the shipping costs is so high on the shipping costs that I nearly could buy a new Rebel.
The for free where I bought it: The local wholesale does not give my dive shop that part because it does not exist. He keeps saying it does not exist even after the Mares Asia ensured them per email that it exists and also emailed the part number.
Mares USA gave me a lot informations and they were helpfull but with Mares outside USA they complete ripp you off.

rookers:
I have a Proton Ice and it has been rock solid and easy breathing to 120ft. No freeze up after immersion in 39deg water (though none of the piston regs present froze either).

I've got the same 2nd stage with a v32 1st. It just got out of the shop for annual service and has been in the pool once, worked great. I'll be taking it out to Aquarena Springs and Canyon Lake next week for OW cert dives. It's all personal preference, but I like it a WHOLE lot more than the antique MK2's that we have for rentals and training.

I recently bought the limited edition reg and rather like it. It breathes a bit wet, but I'd rather have that than dry. Really light, too. And doesn't seem to scratch at all. Nice stuff, but definitely not worth the original price tag (I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom