Mares regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is stiff, not short though.
I can not say this presents an issue of any significance for me personally, but kind of can see why it might annoy other folks.

As for Protons, they have been around only for a year or two, so there has not been enough time for divers to form opinions (positive or negative) about them.

drmobil2002:
Thanks everybody you all make my decision a lot more easy and comforting. I know that just about all of you suggest the Abyss, but does anybody have any comments on the Proton Ice and / or the V16 Proton Metal?

Also, on the Abyss some people on other threads in this board have said that the abyss has a short and stiff hose which tends to get annoying for some people. Is this true?

Mares has followed many others in the scuba industry, and tried to make a smaller lighter seconds stage. The Proton is their attempt. The problem with smaller is that the second stage diaphragm is smaller and not as sensitive. Also, the bubble interference is higher.

The problem with lighter is that you are talking plastic. Personally I like a metal second stage, and the Abyss is one of the few left on the market. The fact that Mares just introduced a metal Proton, shows that I am alone.

I do not have a problem with the "stiff " hose. I do not even notice it.

Viscya:
Mares has followed many others in the scuba industry, and tried to make a smaller lighter seconds stage. The Proton is their attempt. The problem with smaller is that the second stage diaphragm is smaller and not as sensitive. Also, the bubble interference is higher.

The problem with lighter is that you are talking plastic. Personally I like a metal second stage, and the Abyss is one of the few left on the market. The fact that Mares just introduced a metal Proton, shows that I am alone.

I do not have a problem with the "stiff " hose. I do not even notice it.

The Ice has been around since the inception of the proton range, and it is really light!

drmobil2002:
Thanks everybody you all make my decision a lot more easy and comforting. I know that just about all of you suggest the Abyss, but does anybody have any comments on the Proton Ice and / or the V16 Proton Metal?

Also, on the Abyss some people on other threads in this board have said that the abyss has a short and stiff hose which tends to get annoying for some people. Is this true?

Seacure mouthpiece solves this problem........ make's it more comfy :wink:

The proton second stages are the same internally, metal or plastic, But only the Ice comes with the V32 first but................. the V32, MR22 and V16 are the same inside!

Its a nice piece of marketing by Mares, Keeps production costs low :wink:

V16 proton metal with a cold water kit is probably the best value for money for cold water rec diving.

I dive both the Mares 'Ruby' and the Mares MR16 'Voltrex' models, and have been very impressed with both models (used my Voltrex on 23 dives during a week in Bonaire last month, and my Ruby on 15 dives during a week on the JULIET diving the Bahamas this month ). They've both been 100% reliable, comfortable, very easy breathers ---they breathe as easily @ 140 feet deep as at the surface, which the deepest I've dove so far---and excellent performers. I also dive Poseidon Odins, which are world-class performance regulators, so I have a pretty good 'yardstick' with which to measure performance.

Karl

Hi,
I have an Abyss as well and serviced it today (After doing over 500 dives in 3 years) it was operating fine and was breathing fine at 120 feet, I only serviced it cause i had nothing better to do at work.
I think the Abyss is great, tough and most bullet proof!

Mr Mares:
The proton second stages are the same internally, metal or plastic, But only the Ice comes with the V32 first but................. the V32, MR22 and V16 are the same inside!

Actually, the V series, V32 and V16 use a spherical core seat and the MR22 does not. It can be switched to one however. You just have to change out the seat, poppet and a spring. We've had a lot of folks do that to their old MR22s - but from the factory, they are a totaly different seat setup than the V series.

I too dive a Mares V16 proton, never had a serious problem with it (only the occasional leaking of air probably due to a grain of sand, nothing major). Approx. 75 dives in the past 12 months.

you should check out the thread "dumped on by diving companies again" before purchasing any Mares products .........

scubapro50:
you should check out the thread "dumped on by diving companies again" before purchasing any Mares products .........

If my USD Conshelf regulators were lost, stolen or otherwise permanently unusable, I would buy Mares. There is nothing wrong with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom