Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin K:
That wasn't very nice!!! kk

Ya i know it was the thing to do at the time. I wouldn't do it now i have grown up since then. But not only that, i think a few that got hit in the head, it may have done some damage as they are dumber now then when we were in high school. Or maybe it was the weed that did it to them.

BC....check
Regulator...check
Safety sausage....check
Bong hit.................................................................................................
.....................................oh wow....lets dive Dude.

Sounds too much like pushing the envelope a bit over the edge to me.

I can't see it (being better)

You'll be far too happy and chilled out to worry if your buddy is out of air or you get into trouble underwater.

I can see that it might give people the perception of having a better dive, as they probably enjoyed themselfs more, as they worried less about stuff (I have 50bar - I have LOADS left!) - I've seen divers give the :rocker: sign to passing fish. Either narked or stoned I would of thought! :D

Can you give me the contact details for your insta-buddies? I fancy some new gear...

Found this message posted awhile ago:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=18292&postcount=21

Of which a lot of it I didn't know...!

scubaaaronh:
Ya i know it was the thing to do at the time. I wouldn't do it now i have grown up since then. But not only that, i think a few that got hit in the head, it may have done some damage as they are dumber now then when we were in high school. Or maybe it was the weed that did it to them.
You sound like a poster child for something....I just can't work out what...
If what you say is true though, I wouldn't want any of my kids anywhere near your "high" school. :11:
(someone tell me I'm dreaming this!)

I would tell the stoner if they want to kill themselves, go right ahead, it's a semi free country. I won't dive with you as you have the potential to take me out too.

Jim

Gil57usa:
Whether it is Pot, Alcohol, or even some prescription drugs, impaired is impaired. The sad thing is that people who smoke every day fall into complacency. It is so much of their everyday lives that they don't realize that they are impaired (or won't admit it). Like the drunk who drives because he "only" drank a 6 pack.

When you are in a hostile environment, ie. can't breathe without life support (SCUBA), It is damn foolish to partake of any kind of mind/judgement altering substance.

It would be bad enough to have to rescue some fool who can't think straight. It would be even worse to have to count on them for help should you need it. Personally, I would find another "Buddy" that has their head on straight.

BINGO :thumb:

I wouldn't let them dive, unless they had really cool gear. . .

I have personal experience with this issue. If someone is experienced in both activities and the environment is totally safe like a clear, calm freshwater site that is very shallow then the practice is probably not that big of a deal. I used to solo dive in a quarry at 25 feet as a teenager and still managed to "party" at the same time with my non-diving buddies. At the time I was quite experienced in both activities.

However, I also witnessed another incident where my good friend and buddy (who smoked daily and was not prone to erratic behavoir) totally and completely flipped out in a quarry at only 110 feet when he was not that stoned at all. I doubt that he would have made it up if I wasn't there to man-handle him and enforce an ascent. (I was not impaired). He totally mellowed out at around 60 feet. He later admitted that he had been chasing a tuna fish (in the quarry). This incident taught us a significant lesson.

Diving deep (where narcosis is a factor) or in the ocean (where just about anything can happen) seems very foolhardy to me. I wouldn't dive with someone who was stoned. I think you are much safer alone.

I know when I was in high school I always played sports and was always very atheletic. So of course I was always friends with the jocks. Well like every day before practice and games we would go smoke some tweed. Was it right no not at all. I mean in high school I smoked enough weed to sink a ship. But now I look back and realize how stupid I was to do anything like that. Now I have a good job, A great Fiancee, And a great bunch of friends. But when I look back I see all of the other guys that did it with us not growig up and still partying every weeked. I was like the girl you were talking to. I thoguth that when ever I was stoned that I could do stuff just as good as good. But now that I don't smoke I realize that yiou are just in denile about it because you don't want to admit the truth. So in my opinion no you have absolutely no business smoking Tweed and then going diving it screws you all up.:no

Kim:
You sound like a poster child for something....I just can't work out what...
If what you say is true though, I wouldn't want any of my kids anywhere near your "high" school. :11:
(someone tell me I'm dreaming this!)

As long as your kids weren't pot heads they could throw pool balls with me. But that was over 17 years ago. Ya know come to think of it i didn't get into drinking till college and i still didn't drink much cause i hate hangovers.

Back
Top Bottom