Marineland conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Large swells kept us from exploring Honeymoon Cove today so we moved around to the south side for some protection. Marineland looked OK so we dropped anchor on the platform. Visibility looked pretty nice in the top fifty feet. On the platform we could see about twenty feet for the first half hour. After that a current came up and reduced the visibility to about ten feet of sand filled water. I decided to head up. Merry remained on the platform and watched the visibility return. Water was 57° with a thermocline one foot off the bottom.
Life has returned to the platform after the last time it was dragged by a squid boat. Corynactis anemmones and bryozoan cover the steel structure and crabs and nudibranchs are once again crawling on it.

Marineland12_zpse8763cf0.jpg

Marineland1_zps8433135d.jpg

Marineland2_zps5c46fc24.jpg

Marineland3_zps8f855d35.jpg

Marineland4_zpsf9b85861.jpg

Marineland5_zps0b0a8275.jpg

Marineland9_zps449cb915.jpg

Marineland8_zps1375e3ca.jpg

Marineland10_zps3b0fdb23.jpg

Marineland7_zpse535363d.jpg

Marineland6_zps94e3ba20.jpg

A strange looking critter hitches a ride on a Triopha catalinae.

Is that a windmill worm, Phil? Quite different from the ones I've seen and filmed (and the ones I find here are at significant depth)

Interesting. You "Big Islanders" see lots of stuff I only see at depth (or not at all). Most of the windmill worms I've filmed have been at depths of 130-200 fsw.

Back
Top Bottom