Mask fitting problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plenty of good advice already so I'll also mention that strap placement can make a huge difference. Where it lands on the back of the heads can change how the mask is held to the face. Again, held gently by a not too tight strap.

Pete

I agree. After several years of trying and several $ spent on the latest and greatest trends, the best mask for me is a 49.00 special at Diver's Outlet. They are the only ones that fit me comfortabley
Try a lot of masks. Seriously.

a well fitted mask on the surface can easily become an ill-fitted mask underwater. I have EIGHT masks. Yes, EIGHT freakin' masks right now and only one of them; the latest one, fit me properly. After seven years of diving, shopping, trying and searching, I finally found a mask that fits. Of course it has to be out of production...alas, the fickle fingers of Fate.

I too had similar problem, and my instructor pointed out the strap placement could cause this; I've been wearing my strap above the ear (like wearing glasses) when leaking was occurring, then once made adjustment so the straps are ON the ear(not above it), no more leaking.

My Atomic Aquatics Frameless ($110+) leaks a lot more than the ~$60 mask I used for years. I asked about this in a thread a year or so ago and got responses similar to those here. I still use the mask, but I have found that it is not very tolerant of facial movements; if I twitch my nose because I have an itch, or if I smile at my buddy (wife), the thing leaks. Also, I make sure to keep the straps very loose. Keeping the straps loose helps prevent leakage because it helps prevent the skirt from deforming, but it also has resulted in the mask slipping off my face on or near the surface. A cheap mask with a wider, less soft skirt may not be as cool, but it probably leaks less on my face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom