MAsk Foging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Echo the toothpaste and seadrops. Good point from H2Andy :wink: put the drops in at least 10-15 min BEFORE your dive and only rinse once.

Most people who fog up don't realize it but they are breathing through thier nose :11:. Doing this even a little bit will fog the mask up quickly. When this happens to me.... hehe... I usually let a little water into the mask and keep it there (enough to set in the bottom of the lenses will do). When and if I get a little fogging I simply go vertical and shake my face a few times. This does the trick for me :crafty: .

Back up yall, it aint me, Kentucky Fried Chicken is all I see, It's a hellified way to start your day!

I've never had a problem with just spit and I exhale thru my nose a lot. Even with water in the 40's I never get fog just using spit. I do treat it with toothpaste when the mask is new and then never look back.

Baby shampoo mixed 50/50 with water does the trick for me every time. I have fair results with spit and brand name defoggers but they sometimes let me down. Since shampoo is cheap, available anywhere, and seems foolproof for me it is a clear winner.

spiderman:
I've never had a problem with just spit and I exhale thru my nose a lot. Even with water in the 40's I never get fog just using spit. I do treat it with toothpaste when the mask is new and then never look back.

Ditto Spiderman...

teknitroxdiver

Spit works for some people, but mine has zero defog capability, so I have to use the Sea Drops.

I think the chemical make-up of your spit has alot to do with the effectiveness of it....a big glass of milk before the dive seems to work well.

surfratforlife:
When this happens to me.... hehe... I usually let a little water into the mask and keep it there (enough to set in the bottom of the lenses will do).

Back up yall, it aint me, Kentucky Fried Chicken is all I see, It's a hellified way to start your day!

I saw this trick used by my OWI and I picked it up. It has never failed me. A little water in the mask is all I need. And you know if you are breathing out of your nose immediately.

Joe

... a few comments from a company involved in this area with at least some 'expertise'...

We've spent two years on this subject and a lot of time, money and effort in research and development, and as chemists we've identified the problems and tested possible solutions in the lab and field.

Mask preparation is a key element in all of this in our opinion. The worlds best defogger wont work well when applied to a mask which is dirty or not even prepared and degreased well... if the antifog cant key into the glass surface, then it cant bind to it and therefore fails miserably. So in our opinion a good defogger also has to be a good cleaning product too.

We heard of all sorts of solutions mentioned in this thread. Toothpaste, shower gel, rubbing powder detergents on the mask, even recently a distributor in S Africa told me that he advises his customers to boil their masks in water. Do what?

It's not that hard provided you are using products with some science behind them, that are designed to do the job. Try visiting our website www.salclear.com and check out Salclear AquaSport and Salclear NMP, hopefully we can be convincing.

An important factor that we discovered was that all brand new masks have very different characteristics. Some are easy to prepare and defog, others very very difficult. Some worked with a quick dab of toothpaste and a spit, others failed miserably with four applications of mask scrub, followed by four applications of a top quality commercial defog.

In developing our brand we went to the extremes of smearing silicone oils, petroleum waxes and grease on mirrors and masks, and trying to prepare, clean and defog these with a whole range of products... household products, commercially available products and our own prototypes.

The end result being things which we believe are light years ahead of anything you could find in the cuboard under your kitchen sink.

When I first got my mask I used Ajax to clean it as advised by my OWI. I used spit for the longest time but it doesnt work as good as baby shampoo IMO.
My wife bought Sea drops.. it says not to spray into your eyes. Obviously you would never do that but why would I put something in my mask that isnt completly safe for my eyes? Besides I can get a gallon of baby shampoo for what a little bottle of comercial defog costs :)

I actually prefer to have my significant other to spit in my mask, or some other good looking female diver near by. It does wonders for my imagination.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom