Mask lens fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwestby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a mask that my son uses and the left lens always fogs up. I've tried tooth pasting the lens a couple times now, and anti-fog doesn't help.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to stop this type of issue?

Thanks

Hi kwestby,

My best advice is to scrub some more with the toothpaste or soft scrub. Be sure it's a common abrasive paste, not a pure gel. Some will also suggest flaming the lens with a lighter.

Before anti-fog can work you need to get the lens perfectly clean. This can be user contaminants like oils and lotion but most commonly manufacturing residue. Scrubbing 3-4 times is not uncommon. The trick is to test it in your sink while home so you don't spoil and more dives.

You can read the details here.

Pete

Hi,
I know this may sound alittle funny. After using the toothpaste. Try using Johnson's baby shampoo (no tears). As a anti-fogger. I had the same problem. Before my Dive Buddy recommended this. And I have no had any more problems with fogging. I use it before each dive.
Kurt in cebu

Sorry, forgot to add. Just use a couple of drops on each lens, spread it around to cover the whole lens. Let it dry and just before you dive wash the lens.
Kurt in Cebu

Like the other guy said...scrub it more. A cheap non-gel toothpaste works best and what I would do is get the water pretty hot, scrub the lens well with your finger/toothpaste, rinse it off in hot water, dry the lens and repeat (do like 3-4 times) and then use the defogger of your choice. Once you get all of the film off you should never have a fogging issue again (as long as you use some sort of defog on each dive).

Commercial anti-fog never worked well for me. Spit, works every time and never forget it at home. The greener the cleaner!

Back
Top Bottom