Question PT-059 Lens is Fogged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On my last dive of a 15-dive trip, I couldn't take pictures with my TG-6 in my PT-059 housing because the image was blurry. Post-dive, there was a small amount of water in the housing. Now that I'm home and cleaned and dried everything, there is a permanent fog on the lens. I've attached a picture of the fog that covers the whole lens. Any ideas what happened? Do these housings have a limited life? I've got 300 dives on it.

How do I get rid of the fog? Is it possible to self-diagnose it? I'm not in any way proficient with underwater camera gear repair. This is my first housing I've had. I've got a bucket list trip coming in a couple of months and don't want to worry about this, especially if I've gotten the most use out of it already and it's time to buy a new one.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• PT-059.jpg
    PT-059.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 94
If you are certain there remains no leak then you could close the housing up with a desiccant pack inside to dry any residual moisture. But, the housing did not just get water in it, there is a leak somewhere if it was only a piece of fuzz on the main seal. Water in a camera housing is never a good thing. Was the water simply condensation caused by closing the housing in a very warm and very humid condition and then submerging in cool water?
It looked like water intrusion and not condensation. The desiccant packet wasn't wet. I'm not sure how to test for where the leak is coming from if it's not the main seal. I'm open to suggestions.

Also, I'm puzzled as to how the port glass would get etched, if that's what it is.

I had a similar thing with the lens on my TG-5. It formed a fog on the lens. My guess is that it was from some sort of reaction with the plastic in the housing, sort of like you get on a car window when it has been in the sun a lot. I used toothpaste to clean it and it is as good as new.

It looked like water intrusion and not condensation. The desiccant packet wasn't wet. I'm not sure how to test for where the leak is coming from if it's not the main seal. I'm open to suggestions.

Also, I'm puzzled as to how the port glass would get etched, if that's what it is.

I was suggesting to put a dessicnt pack in the housing and close it to absorb remaining moisture.

The lens just needs to be cleaned is my bet. Use a lens cleaning solution and a lens cloth or microfiber towel. See if that works before getting more aggresive.

The only way to test the housing is to take it to depth without a camera or have it pressure tested at one of the very few places that can do this (Backscatter, Reef Photo etc).

Or send it back to Olympus or buy a new one. Me, I would buy a new one, yesterday. OE housings are not worth the cost to service, you are not dealing with a Nauticam housing that cost several thousand $ and is fully servideable and will cost more than several TG6 OE housings just to service and pressure test.

You can go to any expense to save a $ or just save a $ and get a new housing. Unless you could identify and correct the cause of the leak (such as a hair or lint or defect in an O-ring), just get a new housing.

Unfortunately that part is not replaceable. Backscatter checked with Olympus for me. Mine developed these etches from the protective layer coming off.

The inclusion of screws gives the impression that it is replaceable. And it should be replaceable as that is a part of the housing that is susceptible to damage. Maybe Olympus had plans to manufacture a replacement part then quit.

I could have gotten another pt-059 housing for a good price. But out of princple, I opted to spend a bit more and get an Ikelite.

Maybe Olympus had plans to manufacture a replacement part then quit.
Olympus sold off their consumer photography and imaging business to a holding company because it was bleeding cash. The new owners reorganized the remains of the day into what is now called OM Systems. It does appear that despite early pessimism, a Phoenix has arisen from the ashes and the new company even turned a small profit. I do not know, I just read, much of which is probably not accurate. But whatever Olympus intended does not matter because they are not in the game anymore. And the new company has survival on the agenda, not replacement parts for what is really a disposable housing for a legacy product.

Happen to my friends. He left the housing in a hot car
could not repair

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom