Mask on Forehead reliable distress signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a biologist, not a master of physics by any means... but consider the apparent magnification, due to refraction. Everything is enlarged a bit, and the field of view is reduced a bit.
It depends on the mask. Your statement is not true for the HydroOptix double dome mask.

well, generally when i see an instructor lecturing their students about not putting their mask on their forehead, i tend to watch the students more closely because that is indicative of a lack of focus on the part of the instructor on the truly important facets of diving. there's too many instructors out there that are uncomfortable in their supposed leadership roles and who overcompensate by laying down rules like this that don't matter to hide the fact that they've become instructors way too quickly without learning how to dive first.

(anyone out there who is an instructor think there's a problem with how i'm arguing this point?)

I mention to students, saying it could be a sign of distress, but more importantly, you could lose that $100 mask, and while the shop appreciates the extra business, it is easily avoided by leaving your mask on, or around your neck until either back on the boat or shore. I teach this at the POOL, so when they get to open water they can concentrate on remembering the skills they were taught in the pool, and can demonstrate them for me, I don't make a big issue about it, but have had to leave students with a CA at the surface, and do a bounce dive to retrieve a mask for a student who did not heed my advice

I think the mask around the neck makes more sense, when a diver is in a panic state their not going to take the time to place their mask on there forehead. They are going to rip it off their face, down around their neck or completely off their head. This way if you see a dive without a mask they are in distress. If its on their face or forehead its a big OK.

I mention to students, saying it could be a sign of distress, but more importantly, you could lose that $100 mask, and while the shop appreciates the extra business, it is easily avoided by leaving your mask on, or around your neck until either back on the boat or shore. I teach this at the POOL, so when they get to open water they can concentrate on remembering the skills they were taught in the pool, and can demonstrate them for me, I don't make a big issue about it, but have had to leave students with a CA at the surface, and do a bounce dive to retrieve a mask for a student who did not heed my advice

And I keep on pointing out...

- I've smashed three masks (1 in luggage, 2 underneath double-130s) but never lost one off my head.

- $100 is the least of my $10-20,000/yr scuba habit (some of my tank fills are almost costing that much now).

- I carry a backup mask

- My backup regulator is bungeed around my neck and access to gas is much more important than having a mask

And the importance of the whole no-mask-on-forehead rule obviously focuses on introductory open water courses where students are not comfortable in the water and do not carry backup masks. It is not a safety issue, it is a messing-up-the-course issue addressing complete novice divers.

You also completely missed the point about the rhetorical tactics of the OWSIs here claiming that people with their mask on their forehead aren't comfortable in the water. I'm *very* comfortable in the water, TYVM.

When a diver is at the surface and in distress......I will understand by their 'actions'....I could care less were the mask is at that point.

I would also like to point out that a mask is an excellent fashion accessory, and I resent the fact "the rules" say I am in distress when I am actually keeping my long wet hair out of my face.

To the man who posted his picture MOF, and noone was medically trained to take care of you.... next time take TWO masks and see what happens. Thanks for the laugh:rofl3:

Never lost a mask from my head nor seen one lost that way, have seen them lost by people who wear them around backwards, I was able to recover it for him.

BTW,you can get a decent mask for less than 100 dollars.

I am also very comfortable in the water, have completed numerous long distance open water swims as long as ten miles, a MOF on me does not mean anything other than that is where I like it at the moment.

N

I am also very comfortable in the water, have completed numerous long distance open water swims as long as ten miles
N

Nemrod,

You should come dive with us in Florida. We use boats and everything.... No long swims! :rofl3: :eyebrow:

Safe Diving bud,

This Dog has been Flogged, but one more wack couldn't hurt.

With me and my DBs I use no MOFH as a communication tool. It is an agreement, like turn PSI and other hand signals. So if upon surfacing I see MOFH I ask whats up dog?, You doing OK? and hope to find an intelligent answer. I don't go straight to mouth to mouth when I see MOFH. lol

Back
Top Bottom