Mask, purge or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the other perspective, with my goatee water continually trickles in because I can never get a great seal. The purge is convenient because you can continually force the water out without having to tilt back. But I definitely agree with the other posts regarding it as a potential failure point. If you don't have a constant need to purge, go with a non-purge mask.

I started with a Purge Mask that I loved, it was nice single window design with a black skirt, I think it was an SIT. One day the strap broke, I had a replacement strap so no biggy. Later that day somebody set a weight pouch on it & tore out the skirt, so I ended up buying a new one a Technisub Mythos. This is the best mask I've ever had, there is no purge on it. But it has 2 things going for it, it almost never leaks, & with the low profile design it takes like half an exhale to clear it. When I show skills with a class, like mask remove & replace, Mask Flood, Etc., I have to refill it because it clears so quick.

So with all that said I would say find one you like, & use it.

rtkane:
From the other perspective, with my goatee water continually trickles in because I can never get a great seal. The purge is convenient because you can continually force the water out without having to tilt back. But I definitely agree with the other posts regarding it as a potential failure point. If you don't have a constant need to purge, go with a non-purge mask.

I've had both. I now use a non purge. The only downside I had with the purge was it was a little harder to get access to my nose in order to clear my ears. I never had any problems with the purge leaking. Though after a while anything is possible. RTKane in regards to your goatee try putting vasoline on your mustache before puting your mask on. This might help you get a better seal.

Nic160:
RTKane in regards to your goatee try putting vasoline on your mustache before puting your mask on. This might help you get a better seal.

Oh... I can just picture all of the comments on the dive boat when I break out the vaseline and start smearing it on my face! :11:

Thanks for the suggestion though!

I started with a purge mask:

1. Did not have problems equalizing.
2. Did not have problems with the purge valve leaking.

What I noticed is, it was impossible to get all of the water out of the mask using the purge valve (the position of the valve is not the lowest position in the mask which is your nose). After swimming around with a nose full of water for a few days I just went back to purging the standard way.

I have no serious compaints about purge valves except for the fact that they don't work as well as purging manually. To me this makes them useless.

:wink:

Woden:
What I noticed is, it was impossible to get all of the water out of the mask using the purge valve (the position of the valve is not the lowest position in the mask which is your nose). After swimming around with a nose full of water for a few days I just went back to purging the standard way.
That is a good point. When facing down or tilting, the purge valve is not the lowest point of the mask.

Woden:
I have no serious compaints about purge valves except for the fact that they don't work as well as purging manually. To me this makes them useless.

Hmmm. A lot of good arguments in the posts here. Ok, I'm convinced. Thanks a lot.

I'll look for one without purge. Next question coming up.

Gimmick by manufacturers to make more money.

Save your money for a better computer, regs, or a trip instead. :crafty:

I have a purge and love it. I have the original mask I started with (only 2 yrs. ago) and bought another one exactly like it. I have absolutely no problems with it. I have no problems clearing, have never had a leak and it fits better than any other mask. As Diver0001 says- First off, priority #1 is fit, comfort and field of view.

I use the Oceanic Xcite II. I cannot use a mask with the side view or under views. Hubby loves them, I just have a really great field of vision and can see everything fine with the mask I use.

Melissa

I prefer non-purge masks for scuba. I had a purge mask and gues what broke? Thats right the purge broke. Also if you ever forget your mask chances are the stinky one growing mold in the bottom of your buddues dive bag is going to be a non-purge. Thirdly the nose pockets on non-purge masks make it eaiser to clear your ears. Skip the vaseline and just shave your mustach down from the bottom of your nose. It looks a little goofy when its clean shaven but hey a mustach grows back by the end of the day and you look fine by the time you head out for the night.

E.B.

I love a purge style; full beard and 'stash.

I have the Tusa Platina Hyperdry; the purge on this is at the bottom of the skirt, under the left eye. So, the problems with clearing because of the purge valve in the way on the nose piece doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom