mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's unclear to me whether the mask pushes on your nose when you inhale to keep it on your face, or just when it's sitting there.

BTW, inhaling to stick the mask to your face isn't a very good way to check fit. With enough suction, even a poorly fitting mask will stick. A better way is to put the mask on your face and push gently on it with your fingertips. Exhausting a tiny amount of air with that pressure should stick the mask to your face, if it fits well. I have had my mask strap come completely off my head on a number of occasions, and the mask has remained in place, and that's what a well-fitted mask should do.

If your mask, when you do that, is uncomfortable on your nose, you can either look for a mask with a better nose pocket, or you can decide if the discomfort is enough that it would impact your dive. You might get a better idea by doing a bit of snorkeling in the pool, using the mask.

It's unclear to me whether the mask pushes on your nose when you inhale to keep it on your face, or just when it's sitting there.

BTW, inhaling to stick the mask to your face isn't a very good way to check fit. With enough suction, even a poorly fitting mask will stick. A better way is to put the mask on your face and push gently on it with your fingertips. Exhausting a tiny amount of air with that pressure should stick the mask to your face, if it fits well. I have had my mask strap come completely off my head on a number of occasions, and the mask has remained in place, and that's what a well-fitted mask should do.

If your mask, when you do that, is uncomfortable on your nose, you can either look for a mask with a better nose pocket, or you can decide if the discomfort is enough that it would impact your dive. You might get a better idea by doing a bit of snorkeling in the pool, using the mask.

well it's more of like pushing the tip of your nose upwards with your finger, it feels that way. my only concern is that i've read somewhere here that once you go down the depths, pressure adds to the mask being pushed onto your face.

so i was thinking maybe it would be better to get a slightly loose but fitting mask and just rely on strap and water pressure when i go diving... is this a good reasoning?

well it's more of like pushing the tip of your nose upwards with your finger, it feels that way. my only concern is that i've read somewhere here that once you go down the depths, pressure adds to the mask being pushed onto your face.

so i was thinking maybe it would be better to get a slightly loose but fitting mask and just rely on strap and water pressure when i go diving... is this a good reasoning?

As you descend, the pressure will push against the mask, but you overcome that problem by exhaling slightly into the mask. The mask should therefore feel about the same in deep water and in shallow water.

If you use TS & M's advice on mask fitting, you will get a good idea in the store, but underwater you will feel just slightly more pressure. In my case, it was once enough to make a mask uncomfortable on my forehead because my brow tends to protrude out more than most people and pushed against the glass.

I think you want to get a very good fitting, comfortable mask from the start. Take your time. My primary mask is a black ScubaPro frameless that I have owned for 10 years. It has many hundreds of dives in the open water, and I can't even guess how many times I have used it in the pool for instruction. It is on its third strap. If you get a mask that you love the way I did, there is no telling how many years you will have it, so go for the best fit you can get.

As you descend, the pressure will push against the mask, but you overcome that problem by exhaling slightly into the mask. The mask should therefore feel about the same in deep water and in shallow water.

If you use TS & M's advice on mask fitting, you will get a good idea in the store, but underwater you will feel just slightly more pressure. In my case, it was once enough to make a mask uncomfortable on my forehead because my brow tends to protrude out more than most people and pushed against the glass.

I think you want to get a very good fitting, comfortable mask from the start. Take your time. My primary mask is a black ScubaPro frameless that I have owned for 10 years. It has many hundreds of dives in the open water, and I can't even guess how many times I have used it in the pool for instruction. It is on its third strap. If you get a mask that you love the way I did, there is no telling how many years you will have it, so go for the best fit you can get.

i have tried the same brand that you have right now and it was comfortable compared to the one i have, though the only drawback i had at that time was the black silicone skirt, i'm a bit claustrophobic so i wanted to get a clear mask with a wide range of view, hence ending up with the tusa pana geo. well i'm going back to the shop and they've told me to try again and it was okay since i really new and was just trying to have an understanding of how a mask should feel on my face.

thanks for all your replies, i went back to the dive shop and finally got the right one for me... tusa m-14 :)

thanks for all your replies, i went back to the dive shop and finally got the right one for me... tusa m-14 :)

Good move--enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom