Mask Rub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meng_Tze:
See if the height of the strap is the issue. Lower it in relation to the mask. So when you look at the mask on your head from the side, the strap at the back is lower than the mounting points on the mask itself. (hope this makes sense) This way there is a slight downward pulling force on the mask, releasing pressure at the bottom and nose area..

makes perfect sense... I will give it a go for sure!

If every mask you try is rubbing on the bottom of the nose, you very well may be wearing your mask too high on your face. Most people have the better part of an inch between their nose and their upper lip, the mask doesn't need to be crammed up against the nose.

We run into this all the time with students who are having troubles clearing their masks, they're wearing it so tight to the nose they either block their nostrils making it difficult to clear, or the exhaled air pops out from under the mask into the water rather than into the mask to push water out.

Try wearing the mask just a quarter inch or so lower on your face and see what that does. If that puts the mask on your lips, then it's too low and this probably wasn't the reason. If the mask is rubbing on the end of your nose, then either keep looking for a mask with a huge nose pocket, go with the old style Sea Hunt type single plate mask, or wear your masks looser and hope for the best.

good luck,

By "nosecover", I just meant the soft silicone part that goes over your nose!! Sorry, don't know the real term for that part of the mask. I bet you just haven't found the right fit yet. Because I've had a couple of masks that fit like the one I borrowed that hurt, and they all hurt in the same place: namely at the end of my nose. felt like the sharp (septal, I think) bone was pushing through between the nares on the bottom -no matter how loose or tight, or how I did the strap. Killers!
It is not fun to dive with a sore nose. I used to hold the mask away from my nose intermittantly while diving to try to relieve it. Good luck finding a comfortable one!!

I had a bit of this problem (numb nose underside !) with rental masks. Perhaps the distance between the bottom of your nose and your top lip is on the "less-than-many-people" side - mine is.

If so the reg may tend to push the mask up into your nose....

Try a CRESSI mask. I have a Focus and my good lady has a Matrix- they're both comfy. Most importantly, the rubber is notably softer than many other brands (IMHO). Hope this helps.

I second friscuba’s suggestion (wearing the mask too high) as imo the most likely cause, especially since it happens with several masks. Besides, it's easy to fix.
The other recommendations all fall into second place (but still very possible).

SkullDeformity:
Breathe out your nose and put some air into the mask to offset the squeeze with depth. That is equalizing your mask.

Thanks, something else that the LDS never explained. Yet another reason why I am going through and buying all of my gear through a different LDS.

highlandfarmwv:
That happend to me with a borrowed mask (due to lost luggage), I would even hold the mask away from my face while diving. I finally bought a new mask and it was SO comfortable. A Mares X-vision. You might try one of those. They have really nose "nose covers" !

I agree. I have a big nose and the Mares X-vision works very well! :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom