Mask suggestion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandiego_frank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,
I currently use an Atomics Venom mask and really like the mask because of the lens and the low volume design. However, it doesn't fit as well as I would like and will occasionally leak, probably because I have a mustache. Does anyone have any suggestions for mask with similar features, but that might provide a better fit.
Thanks

Hi All,
I currently use an Atomics Venom mask and really like the mask because of the lens and the low volume design. However, it doesn't fit as well as I would like and will occasionally leak, probably because I have a mustache. Does anyone have any suggestions for mask with similar features, but that might provide a better fit.
Thanks

This is the mask that I am sold on I stumbled on it thinking a back up but it is now my primary and includes a extra on for just in case. I have a standard sized male face with a full mustache and have zero leak issues. It has a nice soft skirt for great seal. One thing is that good does not have to be expensive and expensive does not mean a good fit

HOG Gear Razorbak Frameless Mask | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Shawing mustache just a little for a zone of bare skin under your nose and applying some vaseline there might help. Otherwise I don't know how useful mask suggestions might be. A mask is something you better try in a store and pick what really fits.

Best way to find a mask is try as many as you can w/the features you're looking for........If you're still in San Diego you should have access to several dive shops and different brands.....Don't use the strap when trying them......A good fitting mask will seal and stay on your face w/o the strap.....If the LDS employees try to hover around you.....Tell them to..... GO AWAY !!!!!

A. Even a perfectly fitted, perfectly made mask will occasionally leak.

B. Throw some silicone goop on the 'stache for a better seal.

Hi All,
Thanks

We bought 6 masks to date between me and my buddy trying to solve the leak problem. The leak always comes from under the nose. Swimming with head upright is not a problem but water comes in real fast with face upside-down. There appears to be two distinct design differences of the lip just under the nose.

Atomic Frameless V-shape nose lip:

Oceanic Shadow semicircle nose lip:
Oceanic_Shadow.jpg

In my case, the Oceanic Shadow seals well and stays dry. Both masks will past the 'hold-breath and stick-to-face test'. But if I bow and bend over so that my head is upside down, the Atomic Frameless will fall off. Maybe this second test is something buyers should also try.

The Oceanic Shadow suffers from strap loosening problem. I finally replaced it with a pair of cam buckles threaded as in the photo below. This solves the problem and also makes it easy to adjust tension even underwater
Neoprene_Strap_Cam_Buckle.jpg

Attachments

• Atomic_Frameless.jpg
    Atomic_Frameless.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Oceanic_Shadow.jpg
    Oceanic_Shadow.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Neoprene_Strap_Cam_Buckle.jpg
    Neoprene_Strap_Cam_Buckle.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 55

Back