Masks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(Local chiming in) I got a mask from Divers Direct, they have pop in lenses for about $24.95 each that will fit the mask.
I used to have a perscription mask, but lost it on a back entry off the boat. This new pop in lens mask is almost as good.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878

I have used these guys for my mask. I am currently diving a Tusa Powerview with my prescription in it. I will never dive with contacts again becuase I love this mask so much. Plus, I am working toward instructor and the knowledge I never have to worry about loosing a contact or keeping my eyes shust during skills is great.

Good luck picking a mask I can recommend these guys with confidence. Oh, the cost varies based on the presciprtion you need. My mask and prescription is right about $200.00 complete.

I think you should go with the divers direct option.. since you're still young your eyes are most likely going to get progressively worse (my and my family's eye experience). So if I were you I wouldn't get a mask that you can't change. When your eyes stop growing/changing then you can get a custom mask. (OR GET LASIK! :))

Just get the cheap Body Glove CLEAR (important - they are color coded) corrective mask. I have the same prescription and it's perfect. Only about $60 with the lenses already in and I have had over 70 dives on mine since I bought it without issue.

the water provides some correction for nearsightedness. At 1.25 and 1.00 I personally wouldn't bother, that's something you have to judge for yourself. As you get older you may get more nearsighted and decide later you have a need. Then there are lots of options. For mild nearsightedness and nothing weird, I'd just stick with a 2 lens mask that you can buy lenses of various diopters that pop right in. When people start to have strong/complicated prescriptions then the custom stuff becomes more necessary.

I was more nearsighted than you before I really needed anything for diving. Then as I got older, I got more farsighted so just popped my original plain lenses back in!

Last edited:
I personally like having the corrective lenses... It helps more on the surface swim than underwater. For boat diving I wouldn't care as much, but would help if you lost your boat.

If you don't know you need glasses until you meet the eye doctor, a regular mask may be fine. I use the mildest prescription driving but don't (yet) need a corrective mask.

Maybe a little underwater self-evaluation is in order.

Thanks everyone i noticed i did leave out a few things. I am 15. My visibility umm ehh ....haven't been diving in a while sorry can provide a answer

I'm -6.25 in one eye and -6.50 in the other. I bought a prescription mask in Grand Cayman for about $140 US ($55 Cayman for the mask $30 Cayman for each lense). It's a Tusa Splendive II. They swapped the lenses out at the shop, and gave me the originals. Best thing I could have done. Obvioulsy, my eyes are a lot worse than yours, and you may not need corrective lenses for diving unless your eyes start to get worse. My little brother has a prescription like yours and the only time he wears his glasses is while he is driving. My advice to you is try diving without a prescription mask and see how it is. If you are concerned, you may be able to get a pair of daily wear contact lenses and check the difference that way.

For future reference, line 5 is OKHDNRCS.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom