Maui car rental in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Highliner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Will be on the island May 7-22. Wondering if anyone can recommend a good, reasonably priced vehicle rental outfit? Many thanks on advance.

All the standard ones are there. Maui is pretty main stream.
I think last time we went we used Alamo, my wife searches for all the coupon codes.

Sometimes they run out of vehicles though, keep that in mind when pricing out stuff.

I have been to Maui a few times and I always find the cheapest way to go is through Costco. It is worth checking out you can search on their web site under travel.
Sherri

There are a few local rental car places that will rent annolder car for way cheaper.

Kihei Rent a car is one; Word of Mouth Rental Car is another.

Do watch for specials from the big ones, but typically, these places are 40-50% of the price of the big ones, and you're bot driving around a target that says "I'm a tourist... Steal my camera!"

Scuba Bear,
I took your advice and got a great deal through Costco! Didn't even know that deal existed. Thanks. You saved me over $200.

The best rental car deal by far on Maui is Maui Cruisers! $20/ day covers everything! These are slightly worn Toyotas that blend in well with the locals cars and are less likely to be broken into. Paul is great to deal with and despite the rust wall tires, they are ONO!

You guys really that worried about cars being broken into??
I did not even lock the car most times, not that there was anything in there of important.

Try Aloha Rent a car. They are a small local outfit. Really nice people and very low rates.

I arrived really late (after hours) from NH. They had tracked my flight, stashed a car with the keys hidden in the lot when it was clear I would be late. I called them (assuming I was SOL), the voice mail gave me a cell phone number, I called and they told me where the car was, how to get it and told me to come over to the office the next day to sign the paper work. Now that is customer service!!

You guys really that worried about cars being broken into??
I did not even lock the car most times, not that there was anything in there of important.
Uhm... yes.

Depending on where you're going, a typical rental car is a bright white flashing target for thieves.

I lived there for the better part of 3 years, and can tell you there were a countless number of obvious rental cars that had smashed windows... but I didn't see many local-kine cars with a pile of glass next to them.

Like the rest of Hawaii (and the mainland US), there is a significant crystal meth ("ice") problem on Maui... some areas (e.g. Big Beach) are more likely to have those people trolling than other locations (e.g. Wailea), but it's all risky business.

Great, so now we can all read about the Maui threads like Bonair :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom