Maui Dive op experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would venture to say that if some accident had befallen this 13 year old, the DM would most certainly be on the hook. Yes, it may be her responsibility of the diver to do a BWRAF, etc, but as a dive professional setting up her gear, it would seem that the DM should have gotten this right. It is also the responsibility of the dive op to know PADI standards that she was supposed to be diving with an adult. If in fact, this DM was her buddy, then he would likely have even more of a liability problem in skipping the buddy check with her. Fortunately the outcome was good and I hope the girl got her tank changed out and was able to do her second dive.

I've no dived with this particular dive op - have had good experience with ERDA and Mike Severns. I can say that once the boats get back to Kihei boat ramp things do get a little hurried as they need to clear out of the ramp area pretty quick. This is no reason to rush the divers but it could easily be perceived that way.

If there's an operator out there that checks the BCD and weights, tests the inflator and air gauge for their divers - great, they're going above and beyond.

...and some divers would yell because someone is messing with their gear :popcorn:

But it's not anywhere approaching a requirement and it doesn't relieve the diver of their responsibility.

As described in this excellent thread.

That said, and ignoring the legal implications, I find it difficult to reconcile the 'diving is fun, safe and easy' message promoted by the dive industry (and the 'training' that goes with it) - and the expectation that after a couple days of training any diver will automagically become an experienced individual fully capable of taking care of him/herself and never forgetting any safety check - just because they paid for a C-card.

So as far as I'm concerned, any dive operation not being extra careful, gentle and double checking everything for a 13 yo diver with just 6 dives probably got it coming when they get negative reviews on the net... :popcorn:

(Not that it would prevent me from getting on the boat - but I'd look more into it before directing beginners their way).

Last edited:
I still say there are 2 sides to every story here and we are not hearing the other side.

Kris, I thought you and Sean agreed for you not to discuss B & B in a negative way, way back when? Just FYI.

Take care, Maggi

The procedure on our boat for the past 20 years is when the diver gears up we ask them to confirm that your air is on and that you got a good fill. Apparently, the 13 yr old didn't hear it or was not paying attention. We have had a lot of 13 yr olds on our boat, sometimes 12 yr olds diving with their family and that has never been an issue. I am not going to make excuses for the divemasters who helped her gear up, except to say that in the future they will all physically check that the air is on and the divers all have a good fill.

To the OP, I am sorry that this happened to you daughter. I am glad she was not hurt. This doesn't happen often but it did happen to your daughter. I am also glad that you had good dives with Ed Robinson's. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They're our friends and recommend them a lot. As far as the captain being rude to you, it too has been addressed.

To Maggi, Thank you.

Aloha,
Blesi Varney
B&B Scuba, Inc.

P.S. Hanging out in the Underwater Photography thread is so much more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another catch phrase to remind you: Big Whales Really Are Friendly

Or...

Big White Rabbits Are Fluffy

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I don't step in often, but this time I will. Kris, what ever happened, please address your questions to B&B directly either via pm, email or drop by personally. This is not the place or the thread to carry out this conversation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom