Maui in Novemeber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym:
Guys, one more question, or maybe a couple..:)
i've beenm looking at both Ed Robinsons and Mike Severn's dive operations to do some diving with while i'm there, i've done a good bit of diving, but my girlfriend hasn't she's just certified in the last month, in monterey cold water. and at best she'll have maybe 5 more dives before we go. From what i've read, these 2 operators cater more for the more advanced diver, should i be looking at other dive boats that might suit her better? I want to do the best diving i can, but i also want her to be comfortable and enjoy it..all opinions welcome!!

I dove with them both, they have skilled DMs. I only used Ed Robinson's as a trip, the Mike Steven's DMs were actually normal divers on another trip, both were terrific divers.

Ed Robinson's offers an advanced 3 tank dive, which your GF won't qualify for, unless an Ed Robinson DM dives with her and okays her skill.

The standard two tank dives she should be able to do. The Lanai dive is a bit harder than the others, but not too much.

Maui Dive Shop caters to the certified diver, but not really the person who dives all the time.

Island Scuba caters to the non-diver.

I can reccomend Maui Dive shop and Ed Robinson's, even for someone with less than 10 dives.

Xanthro

Aloha Mossym,

You're in for a treat no matter where you end up. Maui is "No Ka Oi" (the best) and the diving should be quite good in November. You might consider getting your girlfriend out on a shore dive or two to get acclimated before hitting the boats. One big advantage to this is she can get a nice easy start which should include a pretty decent bottom time. Being underwater is the best way to get comfortable with SCUBA. Sometimes, when you go from a boat for the first time, it can be overwhelming and then you tend to run out of air quickly. This doen't exactly help with getting comfy in the water. There are some great shore dive sites that are ideal to start out with. You will even see the Ed Robinsons and Mike Severns boats diving these same sites a lot of times. Shore dives are also much less expensive than boat dives if that makes a difference to you. If you need more info about diving from shore, let me know. I dive almost everyday here on Maui and I can give you a pretty up to date and accurate description of what is going on with the water conditions. Boat dives leave the dock pretty early. If you like to sleep-in on your vacation, that's another reason to dive from shore....you will find the best colors on the reef at mid day. Good luck and have fun while you're here!

thanks for the info guys, shaka, we were planning 2 days of boat diving and 1 day of shore diving at least, more if i can convince her to!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom