Maui Photography Friendly Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryTX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be coming to Maui in a couple of weeks, staying at Ka'anapali Beach. I would like to go on a photography-friendly dive so I can put my Canon G11, Fisheye Fix Housing, and Sea & Sea Strobe to good use. I would hope the dive would be at a good spot for photos and the dive itself being geared toward folks who want to take photos as a primary objective. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Check with Mike Severns, B&B, and Ed Robinson's who all depart out of the Kihei boat ramp for boat diving. If you're looking for guided shore diving, check with Shaka Doug in Kihei. If you want to shore dive on your own, pick up tanks and do Black Rock (in front of the Sheraton) where you're likely to find lots of creatures to photograph.

I recently went to Maui we dove with Lahani divers went to Molokini crater and Mala Pier. They were both awesome but I enjoyed the Pier a little more there was a pregnant white tip reef shark just hanging out there and another one swimming around. We got tons of great pics and the dive masters kinda just let us do our own thing.

Definately shore dive with Shaka Doug, you won't regret it. He will find more stuff for you to photo right off shore than any of the boat dives......

Mala pier is a great dive and very close to you. It's also a great night dive, plus is possible (although not easy) to shore dive. On one dive last year I saw white tips, 3 frog fish, trumpet fish, a gum drop nudibranch, turtles, eels and lots of fish. A couple pix from that dive-

NightDive-Mala020FB.jpg

NightDive-Mala024FB.jpg

Frogfish is at the bottom- a little more red than the sponge to the left of it.

Shaka Doug does find tons of stuff on the dives he took us to Turtle Town we saw a few turtles and enterd a cave with tons of fish think they were squirle fish as well as a snow flake eel. anyhow he has a great eye and will point it all out to you, not to mention he is just fun to dive with and laid back...as well very well priced.

The Mala pier not only has a lot of life, ranging from schools of snapper to a variety of nudibranchs, but it also has wonderful structure and swimthroughs that make for dramatic wide angle photographs. It's my favorite Maui dive.

The Mala pier was blown out for us, but we had some great dives out at Molokini. Lanai was great tooIf you can get someone to take you to Honolua bay up above Kapalua, that's the best marine life I've seen on Maui, (summer months).

Shaka Doug does a great job and is great at critter wrangling!

Hey BarryTX can you comment on Ka'anapali Beach Club? We will be staying there in a couple weeks and I am considering doing a shore dive from there. Thanks

cant reply on the beach club but we stayed at Maui El Dorado (out rigggers) by the Royal Lahaina, in Kaanapali and though we did most of our diving on the other side of the island we did some snorkling there and well would say if your into exploring looks good. I did see some dives going out in the beaches south of there not that far either. You will have a blast no matter what. Oh and if you want a decent resturant Canoes is good and you can watch sea turtles surface while you eat on the deck...And as said before Shaka Doug is the bomb and get the dvd of your dive if you go with him he does an awsome job, and reasonably priced

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom