Maui shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diversteve, do you know which boats goto Lanai from Kihei?

B&B scuba out of Kihei might be a good operation to contact. Brad bought a new power cat thay is fast and smooth. I dived the Carthagian with him several years ago. The could go to Lanai, however you would need to stay on contact with them to get on the right day. They are the earliest boat out of Kihei. The are in the water and loading divers at 5:45 am. BTW, that's 8:45 am for those of us who live in MT. I dive with them since I can get back to the condo at 10:30 after two dives.

The other thing to watch is the weather. The boat ramp at Kihei can be absolutely calm in the morning, at the north edge of town where we stay it can be blowing 20 mph. The wind blows right towards Molokini from our condo, so I know what the conditions are before we leave the dock.
The trip to Lanai will be a little rough on the way back due to the tradewinds. Brad's boat will be a good choive if they have enough interest to go.

Lots of great advice for you on here! I do most of my Maui diving from a boat but my last trip I only did shore dives. Not sure why I had not heard of it before but the Mala Wharf was by far one of my favorite shore dive sites and I have been diving off and on the island for 24 years. I would recommend getting there early in the morning as parking there can fill up. There is a public restroom shower nearby which is nice. Also I entered the water from the left side of the wharf (as you face the ocean), from the beach and not the boat ramp to avoid the boat traffic. There were several whitetip reef sharks and vis was great under the collapsed wharf!

The big island does look good. My wife and I are also avid hikers and it appears there is some great hiking as well.

Thanks!

Unless you have other reasons to go to Maui, IMO the shore diving on the Big Island is a little to a lot better, depending upon what you like for diving. Generally clearer water, more and bigger fish by far, better opportunities for dolphins and mantas, more good sites, way less sand, way easier to get below 20', but fewer/smaller turtles and slightly fewer reef sharks. Most entries and exits are off of lava benches, which is a good thing for dive quality, and you have to be careful to judge the sea conditions and bench topography, but the same caveat applies for Maui surf at the beach entries. I'd say as a general observation that you're less likely to encounter boat traffic overhead on the BI as well. I'll throw in better traffic conditions, possibly nicer budget lodging, nicer coastline, and a nicer town locale as well (Kailua vs Kihei or Kaanapali; Lahaina is OK), but those are open to debate. Almost forgot: much cheaper and bigger papaya!

If you're only there a week or so you won't exhaust good shore dives on Maui, and it has the benefit of Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai by boat. On the BI the boats go mostly to the same or similar sites you can get to from shore. If you end up on Maui, another nice site not on that shoredive page is between Olowalu and the tunnel to the south, right before you enter the tunnel. If the seas allow you to get in over the small shore rocks, there's great coral out and to the left, like a maze of big coral heads and channels. Other favorites are Honolua Bay, for the topography and sea life, and Five Caves/Makena Landing for the turtles and reef sharks.

There are lots of upland and rain forest hikes, and many trails in Volcano National Park. I haven't done many other than a couple of short ones. If you can figure out how to get right up to the lava flow, it is an exceptional experience.

If you go with the right people to the right place on a good day it's absolutely awesome shore diving. Hire a local guide to get the most bubbles for your bucks! It's been pretty ugly lately so the local knowledge can be quite valuable. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom