Max. depth, average depth, computers & tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter once bubbled...
I'd follow the computer, although not blindly.

I stick to the table limits on each dive, based on max depth. However I let my computer deal with the actual RNT.

i.e. I don't use the PADI tables, I use the tables that my computer cuts as I'm doing my pre-dive planning.

However remember: Greater bottom times and shorter surface intervals cut into the built in safety margins of NDL tables. I offset my 'diving my computer' with the understanding that my computers NDL limits are more conservative than the NDL tables I learned in OW class. I further add back in safety margins by increased time at safety stops ["I don't wanna get out of the water!"]

jonnythan,

"How is it very easy?"

Perhaps you missed a critical point. "I don't know of any agency that allows its instructors to teach it." My agency specifically forbit teaching this topic. For this reason, I'll pass on explaining "how to." OTOH, I'll be happy to teach you to swim 300 yds.

Isn't multi-level diving what the Wheel is all about? Isn't there a Padi specialty course about this?

Walter once bubbled...
jonnythan,

"How is it very easy?"

Perhaps you missed a critical point. "I don't know of any agency that allows its instructors to teach it." My agency specifically forbit teaching this topic.

I'm not asking for you to teach a class in it. I simply fail to see how multilevel diving is possible on regular tables without profiling... and if you meant profiling, I can see why they don't teach it.

Perhaps you missed a critical point. "I don't know of any agency that allows its instructors to teach it." My agency specifically forbit teaching this topic. For this reason, I'll pass on explaining "how to."

The RDP was never meant to be used that way and the results of which may put a diver into danger, but I use is as a starting point for planning my dive. My computer calcs my true N2 load.

As far as UP's system for calculating bottom time for a new depth "on the fly", I use it to ask myself if that new depth is "doable" or would I be placing myself in a dangerous situation. (My Computers can tell me how much bottom time I have left on my current depth, and if I want it to tell me for a new depth, then I would have to go to that new depth, hmmm that might not be a good thing.)

My Crack about

I now agree with UP that computers do "Rot the Brain"

Is more of an personal joke, not meant to start that old thread up. (I've been programming computers for 8 yrs and I graduated with a Math degree but I couldn't see the "solution" to the profiling "on the fly" calc until I stopped thinking about it. Something about not seeing the forest for the trees kind of thing:wink:)

jonnythan,

Define profiling. Tables were never designed for multilevel diving.

Arnaud,

The Wheel is not a regular table. It was designed specifically for multilevel diving. Personally, I wouldn't use it.

JeffG,

The RDP is merely one available table and one of the most liberal available.

Walter once bubbled...
Multilevel diving with tables is very easy, but I don't know of any agency that allows its instructors to teach it.

A computer is designed for multilevel diving. I'd follow the computer, although not blindly.

Before the computer age we used to call multilevel diving on table "step ladder" profile. No, no agency permitted teaching the method.

Walter once bubbled...
The RDP is merely one available table and one of the most liberal available.

Yes, Oops, I should of used the word table instead But thats what you get after programming for too long.

Jeff, something to do with a certain degeneration of a certain organ? Just kidding. Seriously, I'm still not sure about your answers to my question, except for UP's solution that's so radical that he won't even recommend it...

Short of UP's profiling, there seems to be only 2 options:

1. Either use only the max depth with the RDP, but in my example above, it dramatically reduces bottom time and, to me, in this perticular instance, is beyond being conservative

2. Or rely only on the computer, since the RDP is definitely not designed for this type of profile and no one seems to believe that using the average depth instead of the max depth is recommended.

Thoughts?

Arnaud once bubbled...
Jeff, something to do with a certain degeneration of a certain organ? ..... Thoughts?

After this, you want my Thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom