Max. depth, average depth, computers & tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only yours. And that was a joke based on some previous posts... My apologies to you if you took it any other way.

Arnaud once bubbled...
Not only yours. And that was a joke based on some previous posts... My apologies to you if you took it any other way.

Oops, Sorry Forgot the :wink:

No offense taken.

(Cause I know its not the truth, my wife tells me so:))

Arnaud:
My questions are: is there any sense to use the average depth (calculated by the computer for each dive) with the tables? Should I just forget about the tables with this type of dive profile? Should I learn the wheel?
A true average depth could get you into trouble with certain types of profiles. If you start shallow and then go deep you will have more nitrogen loading than if you start deep and go shallow. Because of this you should not use your computers average depth with the tables. For a purely academic exercise you could keep track of a weighted average depth throughout the dive and then use it with your tables and compare the results to what your computer gives you. This site might be of some interest to you: http://dir-diver.com/en/knowledge/average_depth.html

Diving outside of your training could kill you. Becoming a thinking diver instead of blindly following a computer is a very good thing but you should not calculate NDL time using a method that you have not been properly trained to use.

~Jess

Walter:
Multilevel diving with tables is very easy, but I don't know of any agency that allows its instructors to teach it.
Walter,
I'm pretty sure the DCIEM tables were tested and approved by DCIEM for multi-level diving. Therefore, unless they tell me otherwise, I could teach that in a NAUI course. If I find more or better info, I'll post it.

Did anybody notice this thread is four years old?

TSandM:
I do now. Although I could have sworn it was at the top of the list when I hit the new posts button.... I honestly have no idea how else I would have ended up reading it in the first place.

~Jess

JessH:
I do now. Although I could have sworn it was at the top of the list when I hit the new posts button.... I honestly have no idea how else I would have ended up reading it in the first place.
~Jess

Same here. There it was at the top of the list, begging for a post......

TSandM:

Is that bad? If your not supposed to respond after 4 years why do they keep the threads on here? I thought it was very good and I may have learned a thing or two.

ScubaTwo:
Is that bad? If your not supposed to respond after 4 years why do they keep the threads on here? I thought it was very good and I may have learned a thing or two.
I don't think it is bad, but if I had noticed I might not have chosen to address the OP directly since they may no longer be watching this thread and may no longer be in need of my answer.

~Jess

Everyone, I'm just getting back into diving and recently purchased a computer. This seems as appropriate a thread as any to ask this question. For general dive planning purposes only, if I use the tables to estimate a multiprofile dive by working through them using zero surface interval and ascent time rolled into the deeper depth time, will I get a rough idea of what my computer is going to allow or am I wasting my time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom