Maybe DEMA should thumb their upcoming Dive Fest in Ft Lauderdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not necessarily. As you said, we're 10 months out. Had their been no controversy about it, I'm sure I would have heard about it at some point before April 2013 either through Scubaradio or some other chatter on the airwaves. I don't know if DEMA would do a beter job or not at running a show than another organization. All I have heard from my friends that have attended the DEMA trade shows is that there are a large number of vendors there (although it sounds like in the recent few years, a little less due to the economy) showcasing and selling their latest and greatest products and that attendees span from across the country and even the globe (Yes, I understand that those who work in the industry will make an effort to attend a trade show). Therefore, if the same number of brands that attend the trade show attended a consumer show, here in FL (probably the most popular state for diving), I would definitely attend and I'm certain many others would too.

Clearly I'm aware that there are plenty of folks here in the dive industry that have their issues with DEMA, whatever they may be. With that said, if there is one thing positive that can come out of this whole thread, I would encourage as many manufacturers and dive operators (especially FL operators) to attend the Blue Wild show in February 2013. Myself and fellow divers that I have spoken to would like the opportunity to see as many products from as many different brands as possible. Clearly, many manufacturers flock to the DEMA trade show and the wholesale channel is not the issue. (At least it doesn't appear that way to me) The issue that myself and other divers have is that all to often, is there is a lousy channel from retailer to consumer. Many high dollar purchase (BC's, regs, tec gear, etc.) are often shots in the dark for folks, this is especially true for newer divers getting their first set of gear that aren't familar with all the brands. Items aren't in stock and/or we are shown and sold on a very small selection of items. Ultimately, I don't really care who puts on the show, I would just like to see a show in this diving hotbed of Florida (sorry I'm not going to Chicago in Feb) for consumers that has the same level of participation from the manufacturers, dive operators, etc. that attend the DEMA trade show each year.

Therefore, if the same number of brands that attend the trade show attended a consumer show, here in FL (probably the most popular state for diving), I would definitely attend and I'm certain many others would too.

I think this is the big illusion of Dive Fest - that it will be a DEMA trade convention for the public.

I think this is the big illusion of Dive Fest - that it will be a DEMA trade convention for the public.

Thats the misperception in a nutshell. Those of us that are in the industry know the expense and what it takes to recoup the expense of attending a trade show. IMHO I really doubt the manufacturers, travel, and retailers who attend DEMA will incur that expense again within three months to attend Divefest.

The best option would still be having the last day of DEMA open to the public, or if DEMA would step up and support the other trade shows around the country so they could grow.

The best option would still be having the last day of DEMA open to the public, or if DEMA would step up and support the other trade shows around the country so they could grow.
That was voted down by the DEMA membership. Of course, this begs the question why DEMA did not put this new show to a vote? It's not that we don't trust DEMA... we just count our fingers after we shake their collective hands. There is no transparency and it's like they are trying to hide ulterior motives.

REALLY???!!! Less than a weeks notice? We have interested parties all over the United States. Jerk offs.

The next part of their STUPID GAME will be,"we listened and made changes, then had a meeting where you could have had input and didn't bother, you have the problem, not us".

A PM from DEMA today entitled "You spoke, we listened..."

As an interesting side note, since all of this drama started, I have been contacted by the Surf Show. In the interest of transparency, I sent them this Email in response to one from them.

Hey Jill,

I have been to the Surf Show a couple of times and have even written articles about it for ScubaBoard. While I agree that this is a great way to cross market clothing etc. to dive shops, I think there are two other opportunities to be developed.

1. Turning surf/shore based retailers into dive shops. They’ll need training to do this, but this could actually do a lot to increase the popularity of Scuba in the world.
2. Creating an alternate venue for Scuba retailers to meet with manufacturers and travel. Currently, our options are limited.

With over 200,000 registered users and over a half million unique visitors each and every month, we can help you promote the diving side of your show. In fact, we promote diving and diving businesses whenever and wherever we can so this is an easy fit. We also have a Shows and Events forum where you can make announcements about the show that is also free of charge. I look forward to working with you however you see fit!

Pete "NetDoc" Murray
(407) 509-0947
ScubaBoard.com

Last edited by a moderator:
REALLY???!!! Less than a weeks notice? We have interested parties all over the United States. Jerk offs.

The next part of their STUPID GAME will be,"we listened and made changes, then had a meeting where you could have had input and didn't bother, you have the problem, not us".
I wonder if I will be welcome! :D

That was voted down by the DEMA membership. Of course, this begs the question why DEMA did not put this new show to a vote?

I have heard there was a vote for opening up the DEMA show but I never received the opportunity to vote.

As far as the email and meeting, more smoke and mirrors people. How about we open that meeting up as a webinar so more members can participate, or at least hear first hand what is being discussed.

Or, just craziness here, how about a DEMA forum where only DEMA and it's current members may discuss this situation and hopefully come to a resolution that would benefit everyone in the dive world.
I know a webinar and a internet forum are way to twentieth century. DEMA must stay behind closed doors and short notice meetings to serve the better good of all.

Ok sorry short rant over, but all I want to see is the transparency that is referred to. When people hide behind closed door meetings and censor the participants I feel a need to keep my hand on my wallet.

BTW am I the only store owner who is concerned about the way this is evolving?

Has DEMA left a bad taste in all of its members' mouths, or just the ones talking on this thread? From what I've read here, the politics and controversy with the organization sounds worse than a Wisconsin recall election. To the folks I have been talking to here, are any of you still paying members of DEMA, if so why? If it's so bad, has the idea of starting a new industry organization that would better serve the industry and its consumers ever been tossed around?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom