...Maybe I should go with a Zeagle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UltimateMonky

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I had pretty much planned on getting a Sherwood after I posted the thread awhile ago about a Sherwood or a Cressi - but reading through posts, old and new - it seems like Zeagle might be the way to go. Pretty much the same questions - easy of operation, amount of repair places on the east coast - GA in particular - and durability and ease of breathing. From what I read everyone who has one loved it, and the people that got rid of one ended up going back.

I would like an environmentally sealed one so I can dive in the cold, and just for overall durability.

Also - if it helps I will be doing alot of diving in murky pond and lake water, all sorts of large particles and what not. It can be hard to get to the ocean some times, even if it is only 50 miles away.

Thanks alot,
Will

UltimateMonky:
Well, I had pretty much planned on getting a Sherwood after I posted the thread awhile ago about a Sherwood or a Cressi - but reading through posts, old and new - it seems like Zeagle might be the way to go. Pretty much the same questions - easy of operation, amount of repair places on the east coast - GA in particular - and durability and ease of breathing. From what I read everyone who has one loved it, and the people that got rid of one ended up going back.

I would like an environmentally sealed one so I can dive in the cold, and just for overall durability.

Also - if it helps I will be doing alot of diving in murky pond and lake water, all sorts of large particles and what not. It can be hard to get to the ocean some times, even if it is only 50 miles away.

Thanks alot,
Will
I have the Zeagle Flathead VI, and I absolutely love it. Breathes great, easy to use adjustments, environmentally sealed, free parts, lifetime warranty & service (if needed) is available all over the place.

The down side to the Flathead VI is the cost.

You would be well suited to get the environmentally sealed first stage, as it will keep ou thte dirt and salt as well as the cold. After that you only have to set your price. The flathead is a little pricey but I think that you would like the 50D (for its swivel) or the DSV (for its compactness) also.
As for the second stage you should look at how deep you are diving or how deep you plan to go. As mentioned in another post if you opt for a non adjustable, it is not the end of the world as they are upgradable. I would look at the DSV as it offers both good value and performance. A good thing to know is that any Zeagle is the tyupe of reg that you would likely never have to upgrade.

UltimateMonky:
Well, I had pretty much planned on getting a Sherwood after I posted the thread awhile ago about a Sherwood or a Cressi - but reading through posts, old and new - it seems like Zeagle might be the way to go.

Sherwood vs. Cressi? I didn't see the post, but I'll make a couple of car comparisons:

Sherwood==Yugo
Cressi==Ferrari

let me explain.

I've dove a Genesis reg for quite some time. (Genesis == Sherwood, i.e. they are the same company). I thought is was ok until I compared it. These are cheap regs that are fairly reliable, but I wouldn't pull out into heavy traffic with one :D

Now I've never dove a Cressi reg, so why did I compare it to a Ferrari? Well because you have just about as easy luck finding parts/service in the US. I don't know where you live (i.e. it's not in your profile) but if you're in the US finding Cressi dealers is few and far between.

UltimateMonky:
Pretty much the same questions - easy of operation, amount of repair places on the east coast - GA in particular - and durability and ease of breathing. From what I read everyone who has one loved it, and the people that got rid of one ended up going back.

I think you need to take a step back again. So far we've compared a low end cheapo reg to a reg that rarely gets imported. Now you are throwing Zeagles into the mix. Zeagle used to be the US distrib for Apex, now they are not.

Rather than ask should I get a brand a, brand b, brand c, brand d reg, I think you should be asking: I'm going to be doing x number of dives a year in y conditions, and I want to spend z on a regulator, what should I get.

James

EDIT-1-11-04 9:48AM: I live in Statesboro, GA, about an hour away from Savannah. Like Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil if you ever saw that.

James Goddard:
I think you need to take a step back again. So far we've compared a low end cheapo reg to a reg that rarely gets imported. Now you are throwing Zeagles into the mix. Zeagle used to be the US distrib for Apex, now they are not.

I compared the Sherwood and Cressi because my local dive shop carries both, and he dives a cressi. He is certified to repair them, and says he can get it done very quickly - and he has loaners while he does. I wanted to know between those brands what would be best to get - as I said in the post about this "Cressi vs Sherwood" that I have only dove with a Scubapro and Dacor set up. I've never even been around anyone with Sherwood, Cressi, or Zeagle. So in terms of first hand, and even second-hand knowlege, I'm 100% ignorant. The guy at the dive shop swore by his cressi, but if it is hard to get them repaired if...say I were some where in Flordia or The Carolinas, then I wouldn't want a reg I couldn't find someone with a realative ease to help me. So maybe you can see why I was comparing Sherwood and Cressi, that is what my local dive shop carries, and repairs/services. I through the Zeagle in because of how much fanfare they seem to get - I want a good set-up, and another dive shop 50 miles away carries Zeagle. So these are all with in easy range, and they are both good dive shops.

James Goddard:
Rather than ask should I get a brand a, brand b, brand c, brand d reg, I think you should be asking: I'm going to be doing x number of dives a year in y conditions, and I want to spend z on a regulator, what should I get.

James

And as for that, I will be doing a pretty heavy load of diving coming up, but the depths won't generally exceed 100ft, and very often will only be around 30ft or so - this will be in rivers and ponds with alot of sediment and other nastyness. Lot's of water moccicines and gators too...not to mention turtles - I hate turtles. So for dives, it's hard to say a number, but I will say over 50 in a year, and conditions are off the coast of GA, Ogeechee River, and lots of ponds, lakes, and other such things. The money isn't so much a factor, I have always lived by the "You get what you pay for" I want a reg that will last, and is as bullet-proof as I can get. I would like it to be able to handle water in the sub-40 degree range, but it won't get that way often - I just want to be able to handle it easily when the need arises. So there - I have answered your questions best I could, I realize now that it is pretty difficult to compare A.Reg to B.Reg without a good idea of what I'm going to be doing, and such. Sorry for the vagueness and such.

Thanks
Will

Another Edit - jeez: If Cressi are such fine Ferraris, then why arn't they more popular, or atleast have more distribs?

I've been mulling over getting a Zeagle because they sound so good. I gave my Sherwood away, and Ferraris are not really great cars unless you have really small feet.

Oh yeah. I would buy a Zeagle today (or maybe tomorrow) if they would sell me parts.
At least with a Ferrari, you can get the parts and they're way more dangerous.

I bought the DS-V/ZX combo and recently added another 1st stage due to my doubles. The regs breath great in almost every position, upside down is ok for a while, but not wonderful. The envoy octo (looks like the ZX without the adjuster) breathes a bit wetter than the ZX for some reason, but its only a backup (safe second for me). I have noticed that if you crank the knob out on the adjustment it will freeflow when not in your mouth, so i have dialed mine in a bit. I also tried the TX50 set up from Apeks, it was pretty much identical in feel. The other regs i tried before i bought the Zeagles were mostly Sherwood and Genesis, not sure if i tried any others - but these werent all that hot and were a particular pain at depth to breathe from. I hear good things about the Aqualungs, mostly as they are built off the Apeks base and due to import/exchange rates along with competative pricing, they are cheaper than Apeks for the same stuff, which is a shame that they are selling them that way (ie hiking the Apeks price to sell their own). I have heard good things about the piston types out there, SP and Atomic amongst others, BUT you have to buy the environmental kit which i hear/saw was an oil/gel based goo and of course the piston might stick if you get crud in there - i hear people shying away when dirty or cold water is mentioned, but have no experience diving one in those conditions.

simbrooks:
I have heard good things about the piston types out there, SP and Atomic amongst others, BUT you have to buy the environmental kit which i hear/saw was an oil/gel based goo and of course the piston might stick if you get crud in there - i hear people shying away when dirty or cold water is mentioned, but have no experience diving one in those conditions.

That turns me off to them big time then, because I will be in some muck and murk. I need something that can handle harsh conditions. People are responding well to the Zeagle thread - I will have to talk to the more local dive shop and see if he is looking at carrying their stuff. If not, the 50 mile trek to Savannah isn't that bad at all.

Thanks alot for all the help to Brooks, it is sad if a company jacks up a better reg so they can sell their brand better, but this is Capiltalism and much more. :)

and they breath very easily. As Simbrooks says, they do get a little wet in an inverted position, but never drastically. Zeagle's are made in Florida and have a very good service program with dealers. My 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom