Maybe the dumbest question on SB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first thought is that you should try to improve navigation and avoid the swims, as others have noted. Putting the bc higher on your tank may help a little. If you really want something that is actual legit scuba gear that you can use for a "pillow," consider an inflatable sausage used for signalling your location to searchers or to a boat that you stayed from. The sausage will make you more visible and you could theoretically use it like an inflated "neck collar." But let's start with exiting closer to the boat as a solution. I have a blog here on SB called "Navigation for the Recreational Diver" that you might find useful.
DivemasterDennis

Actually, I could improve my navigation and will look into that blog. However, the pillow idea is a separate issue (kind of) because it isn't poor nav that ends with me far from the boat, but rather, other factors like strong currents, etc.

I am using my first ever back-inflate and as luck would have it, these are shore dives so haven't had a chance to see if the upper arc can double as a pillow.

As far as keeping your head up for 30 min, give me a break. Most people (and I would bet mathauck included) could not lie in bed with their chin on their chest for 30 min, let alone on the sea. But the SMB idea sounds interesting, tho it might be overkill. I suppose you could say that taking a pillow on a dive is overkill too, haha.

I have done a few longish surface swims (an hour?) while diving for sharks teeth at Venice Beach, Fl. I made a conscious effort to relax my neck muscles and let the water buoy my head up as much as possible. I do keep my mask on so if water washes over my face a bit, it's no big deal. I just don't like snorkels and can do a long distance swim on my back much, much easier.

Last edited:
Use a snorkel and keep your head submerged (and your neck relaxed)?

Use a snorkel and keep your head submerged (and your neck relaxed)?
Snorkels don't work when you're on your back.

Ok, here's my submission: I'm wondering if anyone uses pillows while diving, and if so, how well they work. Specifically, I'm thinking of those inflatable airplane neck pillows which you'd keep rolled up in a BC and inflate it once you're on the surface.Why? Because despite having relatively few dives, I've had to make several longish surface swims back to the boat, and since I usually do this on my back, it's not very comfortable on my neck. Keeping my head elevated just make things a lot easier (chatting, keeping water out of your eyes and mouth, keeping the sun out if your eyes, etc).

If you are going to do long surface swims, you should learn how to snorkel......snorkeling back in, would be much more comfortable and effective....Kicking on your back is fine when you really are not going far, or having to do any specific navigation, but is seriously inferior to snorkeling for a long swim.

Snorkels don't work when you're on your back.

I'm pretty sure he meant using it while face down .. At least I hope so :rofl3:

I suppose a snorkel would be a good alternative to a pillow, but I wonder if that would open me up to the same amount of ridicule that a pillow would: I did read some anti-snorkel posts here on SB ... hehe

Never heard or seen one, but I think it is a great idea especially on my deco stops :D Take a 40 min nap!!!

I've never heard of or seen this either, personally the less gear I have to deal with the better. Adding something that you have to store during your dive then inflate seems like a hassle to me. I agree with trying to adjust your tank around, or using a snorkel. If you attach the upper part of your snorkel to the back of your mask (as opposed to the mid section of the snorkel on the side of your mask) it might not bother you as much during your dive, and it will still be in a spot where you can use it on your swim.

Back
Top Bottom