MegaPixels enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a simple test on the effect of low resolution, I took a 2 megabyte 2272x1704 pixel file from my Stylus 400 and exported it from Picasa as a 1024x768 pixel file. I then printed both the orginal and the 160kb/0.78 megapixel file at the local drugstore Fuji 350 system.

The small file looked pretty good at 4x6". Doing a direct comparison between the two prints one could figure out which was which, but it wasn't any sort of glaring difference. The Fuji software did a pretty good job of upward interpolation to the 300dpi print resolution of their machine.

You might try a similar experiment the next time you print some photos.

---------------------

Although there have been a lot of posts about 8"x10" and larger prints, my need for resolution is really driven by those photos where I do extreme cropping. Even just cropping to a single quadrant of the photo requires the same resolution in a 4"x6" print that you would need to print the whole picture out as an 8x10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom