U/W housings for IPhones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Throughout the day do you just leave the phone in the Divevolk and recharge when going to bed?

I'd say two 60-70 minute dives leaves you around a 35-40% charge remaining, which is actually pretty good, and I've left it in the rinse tub between a first and second dive. However, you set the phone to never-sleep, and so the battery drain is constant, and I'd say best practice is to take it out during surface intervals, both to avoid any thermal stress and to do a quick charge (and to have the phone for pictures on the boat or of the scenery). If I'm on a day boat, I toss in a USB power pack just in case, bt I've not used it much. If I was doing 90-minute dives I'd put it on the power pack for the surface time.

I'd say two 60-70 minute dives leaves you around a 35-40% charge remaining, which is actually pretty good, and I've left it in the rinse tub between a first and second dive. However, you set the phone to never-sleep, and so the battery drain is constant, and I'd say best practice is to take it out during surface intervals, both to avoid any thermal stress and to do a quick charge (and to have the phone for pictures on the boat or of the scenery). If I'm on a day boat, I toss in a USB power pack just in case, bt I've not used it much. If I was doing 90-minute dives I'd put it on the power pack for the surface time.
What about leaving the display on but put it in airplane mode to save on drain? Turn off WIFI, cellular, bluetooth etc. During the dive day, I would also turn off the screen passcode and let the display sleep between shots. With the passcode off, you shouldn't need to type anything. Or do face unlock- I would be super impressed at someone's hardcore-edness if you had your face unlock work with a mask and reg on your face :D

What about leaving the display on but put it in airplane mode to save on drain? Turn off WIFI, cellular, bluetooth etc. During the dive day, I would also turn off the screen passcode and let the display sleep between shots

Yes to all of that, except I put it a long sleep or no sleep. I've fogotten, of course, and been able to enter the passcode using the membrane. Haen't tried the facial recognition yet
:snorkeler:

Throughout the day do you just leave the phone in the Divevolk and recharge when going to bed?

View attachment 792927
I brought a battery pack and recharged it during the SI if i remembered, but mine is an iPhone 12 that doesn't have the best battery life anymore either. Probably will upgrade to the 15 this fall.

What about leaving the display on but put it in airplane mode to save on drain? Turn off WIFI, cellular, bluetooth etc. During the dive day, I would also turn off the screen passcode and let the display sleep between shots. With the passcode off, you shouldn't need to type anything. Or do face unlock- I would be super impressed at someone's hardcore-edness if you had your face unlock work with a mask and reg on your face :D
Same as rmorgan, putting it in airplane mode saves a ton of battery. I also made one of the assistive touch shortcuts a sleep button. At least on the iPhone you don't actually need to unlock the phone to use the camera, you just can't look at other pictures (from previous sessions, you can open your last photos or videos since you started taking them if you wanted), but I don't want to mess with that anyway when I'm underwater.

One other advantage to the Divevolk that no one has mentioned is that in case of an emergency you can call 911 while on the surface. Nice to have when you surface and the boat is nowhere in sight.
Nice. I guess on the 14 that has the SOS via satellite would also be available if out of cellular range.

On the DiveVolk, what kind of regular phone case is recommended? I assume the phone needs to go in the DiveVolk without a case. So do you folk put kind of a basic flimsy case on your phone before traveling with the idea that you're going to take it out of the case repeatedly and put it in the DiveVolk? Also, does the system work if you have a screen protector on the phone?

Back
Top Bottom