Meikon EM1 housing, any experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hippoppop

Registered
Reaction score
Meikon has started selling their EM1 housing in Singapore with price of USD 200. It claims it accomodates 12-40 PRO lens. But by looking at it, it should also fit 60mm Macro lens inside.

Anyone has experience with this new housing? Kindly share with us thanks!

I've just bought the new Meikon housing for the e-m5.

It (unfortunately) doesn't fit the 12-40. It's made for the 12-50, and it should thus also fit the 60mm.
Comparing to my old Oly e-pl1 housing, it's very slightly less weight.

All buttons except lens FN button are accessible. The zoom button directly turns the zoom ring on the 12-50, the gear is built-in and included.

My buttons are very close for up/dwn/L/R/enter, but it seems like they have moved them apart on the e-m1 housing.

The workmanship standard seems slightly lower than oly. I only have very limited experience with my meikon, but on my test-dive it didn't leak.
The program change rotary button didn't press sufficiently hard on my copy - to be able to rotate the wheel. I will recieve a new, larger rubber thing, that should solve it.

IMG_0183.jpg

Received mine from ebay. USD 200.
Fit perfectly for 12-40mm PRO and 60mm Macro
Not very ergonomic with the trigger button, but can compensate, no big deal.
No flip diopter holder or wet lense mount option (unless self-mod)
All buttons and functions are accessible
Pressure chamber leak test is negative.
Very light housing
Double O-ring seal

Another reason to go Micro 4/3 now.

Check their facebook page. Under the presentation of it, there is a little discussion about M67. Apperently they offer a flip diopter for it.
https://www.facebook.com/hkmeikon?fref=ts

I've used my housing for e-m5 a little now, it seems to work fine.
I was a little worried about the very closely placed up/dwn/L/R buttons, but actually they work fine even with dry gloves.

securedownload.jpg

Meikon produces their own flip diopter for EM1 housing for USD 80.
Don't need to rob a bank to get quality housing, accessory and photo now.
Can't wait to put in my EM1, 60mm Macro and Inon UCL 165 all together!

I assume the 12-50mm lens will fit the E-M1 housing if the 60mm macro lens fits. Can anyone verify that?

I only have the e-m5 housing, which causes some trouble, and I positively know that some of my issues have been improved on the e-m1 casing.
About having the 12-50mm in there, when it is made for the 12-40mm:
The 12-40 is much wider and longer than the 12-50, so there is space for it. There is no gear in Meikon housings, they are made for one lens only and drive the zoom directly. But if you add something around the zoom gear, there is a chance you can DIY something half-good.
As the minimum focusing distance on the 12-50 is quite long, there should be no problem with false focus on the port glass.

I only have the e-m5 housing, which causes some trouble, and I positively know that some of my issues have been improved on the e-m1 casing.
About having the 12-50mm in there, when it is made for the 12-40mm:
The 12-40 is much wider and longer than the 12-50, so there is space for it. There is no gear in Meikon housings, they are made for one lens only and drive the zoom directly. But if you add something around the zoom gear, there is a chance you can DIY something half-good.
As the minimum focusing distance on the 12-50 is quite long, there should be no problem with false focus on the port glass.
Thanks. I found a post at another Web site confirming that the 12-50mm lens fits. As for not being able to zoom, the Olympus housing has the same issue with the 12-50mm lens so that's a wash. (With the Olympus housing, you either run the 12-50mm lens at wide or macro. Olympus doesn't make a zoom gear for the 12-50mm lens.)

Unlike the M5, M1 has electronic control over the entire zoom range, so you're not limited to 12 or 50.

But it still can't go into macro, right? (even though it is just a matter of software if the lens is set to motor zoom)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom