Mesh gear bag for personal gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alschmid

New
Reaction score
All I have is personal gear to tote along. Anyone have any recommendations on a good size bag for this? Also would any of these bags fit 2 peoples personal gear?

If by personal gear, you mean mask, fins and snorkel, you can get a Stahlac Bonaire. It can definitely fit two sets with room to spare. If you want room for suits and/or BC, Stahlsac and Akona have bags that should work.

alschmid:
All I have is personal gear to tote along. Anyone have any recommendations on a good size bag for this? Also would any of these bags fit 2 peoples personal gear?

First, welcome to the board.

I never understood that - putting wet hear into a mesh bag, only to get your back and your ride wet.

I second the Stahlsac. I boat dive, and there is usually a schlep to the landing, down the ramp, across the deck, back up the ramp, to the car, etc... a roller bag is a must for me.

If you can swing it, Stahlsac is a great bag. I have the Catalina bag. It would hold two normal sets of gear, but wifie and I both dive dry - so you got drysuits and the undies. Plus when all that stuff is wet, its just too darn heavy to lug around.

The ubiquitous and quite overrated Akona roller bags are a more cost effective alternative. They're all over in So Cal, and have really long handles (a cool feature.) BUT they won't stand up when loaded. And for me, that was a deal breaker.

The Stahlsac is probably the most durable roller bag out there. Great, tough zippers, super heavy fabric, user replaceable wheels (a big plus) - its just an tank. Plus the big pocket in front comfortably holds a Pelican 1500 dry box - very important to me. And of you're still diving split fins, the fin pockets on this bag will actually hold the longer fins (like the Atomic)... most bag's won't.

I saw what my DIR/F instructors put their Stahlsac bags through, and they spend half their life in airports with wet gear. That sold me.

K

I use a hockey bag when traveling(it haas wheels too) and a rubbermaid tote. You might be able to find a hockey bag big enough to hold two sets of gear. Since they are some what cheap, they are easy to replace after a few years.

for personal gear, like a mask, fins, snorkel and booties, I use a mesh laundry bag. You can get one at Wal Mart for about $2. If you are talking about the whole enchilada, that is a slightly more expensive and hefty story.

I use the rubbermaid tote for in my van ... but when i go on a boat dive I use a mesh bag. I kit up my BC, Regs and tank and everything else fits in the mesh bag which I carry in one hand and the other is still free to grab a railing as I step onto the boat!

I picked up my mesh bag at the local Army Surplus shop for $7.00 CDN! It is an army laundry bag.

Eric

alschmid:

What's "personal gear", and where are you toting it to? Local shore dive, local boat dive, or toting your stuff around a carribean resort?

i picked up a mesh bag at a sportmart store about 3 years ago, bodyglove i think is the brand. it was like $25 and fits everything but my tank and bp & w great. i usually put my bp & w together before heading out. even fits a dry suit/undergarment and is small enough to take on a boat. works great and holds up well. i just slip my bp & w w/tank on grab the bag and head off. makes for on easy trip and a free hand for carrying another tank.

Sorry for not being very specific. I'm going on a cruise next month. I'll only be bringing mask, fins, snorkle...but want something easy to travel with (and not take up too much room) and easy to carry around while we are at port.

Thanks for all the replies!

Back
Top Bottom