• I only use a mesh protector to transport my tanks

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • I keep the mesh protector on at all times - even while I dive

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I use something else to protect my tanks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No -

I find them more damaging to painted tank finishes that not having them. Stay wit me...

First two tanks I bought, yeah, LDS recommended them, so put em on!

Then I started acquiring used tanks via craigslit or eBay. What I was seeing were a lot of tanks bought by enthusiasts early on in their diving career that gave it up and let near-new condition tanks sit for years, collecting dust until the sniffigant other insisted they go out. They too fell victim to the LDS habit of selling stuff that folks just don't need. When I get a used tank, I spend a good bit of effort cleaning it up to as-new as possible. After cutting off a couple dozen tank protectors, I found that, universally, they had acquired an all-over fish scale finish etched into that paint. I suspect that over the years, the tanks, sitting in a garage or attic or storage room or something, collected dust. And as the tanks expanded and contracted ever so slightly from temperature variations, that dust, under/around/next to the mesh wraps did a little sandpaper action, grinding the mesh pattern into the tanks.

I can usually get it out with copious amounts of rubbing auto polishing compound into the finish and usually get a close-to-new finish tank. But it's a hassle I just buy into for cheap tanks... Ironically,k honest wear marks (scratches & chips) don't bother me so much.

Scratched/chipped tank paint is a sign of maturity for divers.... Re-painted tanks are a huge red flag for me when evaluating a tank for purchase or even doing a VIP. What are they trying to hide under the new rattle-can finish?

Having said that, if I ever jump into steel I would prefer it have no paint on it, just hot-dip galvanizating on it.

Zombie thread. Woo hoo.

I always think they look like the tanks are wearing fishnet stockings! 🤣

Mesh protectors just seem like the plastic furniture covers my grandma had.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom