MESS AT COZUMEL AIRPORT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So. Since I am going to be in Cozumel at the end of August. What would be the recommended time to get to the airport prior to departing Cozumel?

FWIW, other than calling in more agents to man the Immigration kiosks there is no amount of planning on the CZM airport's part that could mitigate the effect of several planes arriving at once; the airport has little or no control over when the planes arrive.
Technically, they do. They have slots for a reason. Now, if you'd written airports have little or no control over planes which end up being delayed such that a bunch all arrive at the same time... then I'd be on board.

So. Since I am going to be in Cozumel at the end of August. What would be the recommended time to get to the airport prior to departing Cozumel?
Couple of hours.
For me it depends. I'll look at the departure schedule for the day and how many flights are leaving close to mine. Two hours is usually where I end up but I have arrived three hours before and have been glad that I did. Saturdays are always going to be the busiest day.

Mostly just reiterating what @Shawn C said , but the risk of being delayed definitely is a function of the number of flights coming and going. While most people don’t have much flexibility due to work schedules , if you can avoid weekend travel to and from Cozumel you are generally better off.

As far as when to arrive at the airport , two hours is almost always sufficient but usually the check in line for each flight is also longest about 2 hours before departure. If you are checking bags sometimes it is good to check in and drop off bags 2 1/2 hours before departure then walk over to Diego’s Tacos across the street for lunch (though I think they are closed Sundays ). I would rather spend time with a taco in hand than waiting in a long check-in line. If you aren’t traveling on a weekend or around a holiday arriving 90 minutes before departure will generally be OK but I wouldn’t recommend it for most people (any delays at check in or security add unneeded stress to your vacation since you will be cutting it kind of close )

Usually the check-in desk has little or no staff about an hour before departure (not sure of the official cut-off, but you may not be able to check any bags inside of 1 hour before departure ). Bottom line arriving only 1 hour before departure is cutting it too close much of the time (especially with bags to check ).

Please note that if you are traveling on Southwest Airlines almost all of the above goes out the window. While I think there are paid internet upgrades available that guarantee a boarding group, if you are not doing that you generally want to get to airport way early (3 hours or more seems to be my impression ). While I haven’t flown them in decades, I have a friend who uses them and it seems like if he gets to airport 2 1/2 hours early he winds up in the last boarding group and will not be able to sit with his wife. I have actually left for the airport later than him on occasion even though my flight left an hour earlier

The planes that showed up were all close to on time. Most of the flights to the US arrive between 1-3pm, you would think having more than 2 agents would be a good idea, but then again efficency here isn't a priority.
To those that said print the form at home, we have done that. Strangely the last 2 times we flew in Herr theu haven't asked for it so I didn't think to print it out. Again, I don't know why the person passing them out was right by the scanner, why not circulate around the 600 person line?

Absolutely the week days should be better. Normally we fly in on Thursday via DFW, but there still are multiple flights that land in short windows, and times can fluctuate on how long it takes to get through.

Mostly just reiterating what @Shawn C said , but the risk of being delayed definitely is a function of the number of flights coming and going. While most people don’t have much flexibility due to work schedules , if you can avoid weekend travel to and from Cozumel you are generally better off.

As far as when to arrive at the airport , two hours is almost always sufficient but usually the check in line for each flight is also longest about 2 hours before departure. If you are checking bags sometimes it is good to check in and drop off bags 2 1/2 hours before departure then walk over to Diego’s Tacos across the street for lunch (though I think they are closed Sundays ). I would rather spend time with a taco in hand than waiting in a long check-in line. If you aren’t traveling on a weekend or around a holiday arriving 90 minutes before departure will generally be OK but I wouldn’t recommend it for most people (any delays at check in or security add unneeded stress to your vacation since you will be cutting it kind of close )

Usually the check-in desk has little or no staff about an hour before departure (not sure of the official cut-off, but you may not be able to check any bags inside of 1 hour before departure ). Bottom line arriving only 1 hour before departure is cutting it too close much of the time (especially with bags to check ).

Please note that if you are traveling on Southwest Airlines almost all of the above goes out the window. While I think there are paid internet upgrades available that guarantee a boarding group, if you are not doing that you generally want to get to airport way early (3 hours or more seems to be my impression ). While I haven’t flown them in decades, I have a friend who uses them and it seems like if he gets to airport 2 1/2 hours early he winds up in the last boarding group and will not be able to sit with his wife. I have actually left for the airport later than him on occasion even though my flight left an hour earlier
I like the Diego's Tacos idea and will need to try that next time. For Southwest, check in begins 24 hours before the flight. You get your boarding position when you check in on line at no charge. The paid upgrades auto-check you in before the 24 hour mark and you usually get a spot in the first 30 people. We arrived for our SW flight 2 hours early on Saturday, checked bags, and stood in the security screening line for an hour. (the line snaked back and forth multiple times through the concourse going from the front doors around the ATMs to the chapel, back around the ATMs and then to security). We still had plenty of time in the gate area before boarding began.

Technically, they do. They have slots for a reason. Now, if you'd written airports have little or no control over planes which end up being delayed such that a bunch all arrive at the same time... then I'd be on board.
That's what I am talking about. The airport can negotiate slots with the airlines but the planes get there when they get there.

That said, it is understandable why airlines would prefer to service Cozumel in the early afternoon. Many (Most? All?) of them schedule round trips to and from Cozumel the same day, and many travelers are connecting with other flights going both directions. They don't want to schedule their time at CZM so early or so late that connections can't be made.

Aside: Many years ago at least some of Continental's flights into Cozumel made a stop in Cancun first.

Back
Top Bottom