MESS AT COZUMEL AIRPORT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And yet several weeks back when I arrived there had been no other flights in almost three hours and folks were still in line from mid day. That had nothing to do with slots but the fact that only 2 of the 5 immigration cubes were manned.

Please note that if you are traveling on Southwest Airlines almost all of the above goes out the window. While I think there are paid internet upgrades available that guarantee a boarding group, if you are not doing that you generally want to get to airport way early (3 hours or more seems to be my impression ). While I haven’t flown them in decades, I have a friend who uses them and it seems like if he gets to airport 2 1/2 hours early he winds up in the last boarding group and will not be able to sit with his wife. I have actually left for the airport later than him on occasion even though my flight left an hour earlier

I fly SW all the time. All you need to do is get on the app 24hrs before you flight time and check in. You get your boarding position and you are fine.

For us, the biggest issue if getting one of the INM people to leave the incoming line and coming to departures to check us out as permanent residents. I think it was easier when we checked out in arrivals as someone could just leave the line and check us out and go back to the line. Now we have to call them and wait for someone to walk all the way to departures for us. They usually don't take too long.

I fly SW all the time. All you need to do is get on the app 24hrs before you flight time and check in. You get your boarding position and you are fine.

For us, the biggest issue if getting one of the INM people to leave the incoming line and coming to departures to check us out as permanent residents. I think it was easier when we checked out in arrivals as someone could just leave the line and check us out and go back to the line. Now we have to call them and wait for someone to walk all the way to departures for us. They usually don't take too long.
2 weeks ago the guy ahead of me in the immigration line waited over 90 minutes for someone to come. My wait was close to an hour. Definitely liked the old location better.

When I go to Cozumel I travel with my 90-something mom in her wheelchair; that helps with the lines and plane boarding. I am thinking of renting her out. :D

2 weeks ago the guy ahead of me in the immigration line waited over 90 minutes for someone to come. My wait was close to an hour. Definitely liked the old location better.
Holy cow! That's terrible. I just call them and lots of please and thank yous. Sometime if I have been there a bit, the SW people will also call for me. It was easier on the other side where you could give them the eye!

Came in today. Scheduled arrival was 1:04. We arrived a little early, don't know the exact time.i was at my hotel by 1:25 using the airport shuttle. Helps that we were the only plane. It helped to grab the customs form while waiting for my checked bag. They were handing them out at the exit of the luggage area.

We flew home Tuesday, on AeroMexico to Tijuana through Mexico City. Got there stupid early after you all scared me (1115am for 200pm flight). We were first in line at the ticket desk, waited 30 minutes for staff to arrive. Breezed through security, then went and chilled in the VIP lounge. When we got out of lounge to head to gate, the room was packed with people waiting to leave!

Arrived the Wednesday before, and had our rental car about 30 minutes later. Didn't have to clear customs since we were considered domestic

Buddy and I arrived Sat 3/16/24 on SW via Houston. Plane was a few minutes late and boy did it cost us. They take ALL the passengers per plane in order of arrival, no mix and match. So it was necessary to duck under the ropes for a bio break while in that long line. I think 4 stations were manned, mid-afternoon. Not awful. Waited a lot longer for bags to appear on the carousel. Button push was green.

Lesson learned: either do the bag drag to grab a taxi across the street (previous practice) or suck it up and book a private taxi. We bought colectivo tickets on Cozushuttle. Waited an extra hour to get assigned. Then mentioned to the driver that our downtown hotel was just south of the airport. Oh yeah. He dropped us first (not necessarily his original plan).

Great week of diving, 12 dives in 6 days with Azul Divers. Lots of delicious food. A few margaritas may have been consumed as well. Good thing we were using Nitrox. :)

On the way out the following Saturday, we arrived 3 hours ahead. No drama. (Mexican security is tighter than a gnat’s hiney, yet we did not run afoul.) Long layover in Houston, then home.

Until next time.

Got there stupid early after you all scared me (1115am for 200pm flight).
Unfortunately, there is no way to know ahead of time what the experience will be at a given airport at a given time, and it is better to be early than late.

Buddy and I arrived Sat 3/16/24 on SW via Houston. Plane was a few minutes late and boy did it cost us. They take ALL the passengers per plane in order of arrival, no mix and match. So it was necessary to duck under the ropes for a bio break while in that long line. I think 4 stations were manned, mid-afternoon. Not awful. Waited a lot longer for bags to appear on the carousel. Button push was green.

Lesson learned: either do the bag drag to grab a taxi across the street (previous practice) or suck it up and book a private taxi. We bought colectivo tickets on Cozushuttle. Waited an extra hour to get assigned. Then mentioned to the driver that our downtown hotel was just south of the airport. Oh yeah. He dropped us first (not necessarily his original plan).

Great week of diving, 12 dives in 6 days with Azul Divers. Lots of delicious food. A few margaritas may have been consumed as well. Good thing we were using Nitrox. :)

On the way out the following Saturday, we arrived 3 hours ahead. No drama. (Mexican security is tighter than a gnat’s hiney, yet we did not run afoul.) Long layover in Houston, then home.

Until next time.
I was on the same flights as you!, I ended up waiting around baggage claim for my friend who flew in American. He landed 45 minutes after us, but then they shut down two of the stations and it slowed to a crawl! One desk kept closing to go check in private jets that came in. I think I spent a total of 2 hours waiting for him after I got all my stuff so things slowed to a crawl! but the good news is our shuttle wait was short, we were taken right out and were first on, then it loaded up within 5 minutes and we were off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom