Metal body second stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James-S

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been looking for metal bodied second stages, but I have only managed to find the Scubapro A700, and the Mares Abyss and Proton Metal. Are there any others available out there?

Any info appreciated :)

Lots of used models available at very good prices. I dive Scubapro models. The 108 is comparable to an R190 and many manufacturers marketed similar design "in the beginning". The 109, Adjustable, is a high performance simple design. The 156, Balanced Adjustable, is the forerunner to the G250 which lead to many of Scubapro's modern balanced regs; with quite similar performance. And the Pilot which had 2 versions, one was the predecessor of the Scubapro D-series with the coaxial valve design.

Second Stage

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to Awap

The difference between 109 and Balanced Adjustable is (naturally) the BA is balanced with different guts, but the 109 can be upgraded to BA....I have a few for sale, I'll send you a PM if you're interested.

c

Ditto,

e-bay for lots of used Dacor and US Divers chrome 2nds, as well as the Scubapro, Healthways, AMF/Voit/Mares, etc. If you look long and hard you just may find a few NIB units still stashed away at LDS and commercial diver supply companies.

Your list appears complete.

Are you looking for DIN or yoke? Mares can be ordered as either type of first stage, and the price should be the same. I'm not certain about the Scubapro, but it is worth checking into. Many regulators can be converted from yoke to DIN, but that is an added expense. The DIN fitting to convert an Oceanic reg was $75, and a dive shop would have charged for installation.

Good luck with it.

I think Kirby Morgan still makes a metal second stage. You might, however, have to go to a commercial supplier to buy one.

I have the Mares MR22 Abyss (which I have been every happy with) but the Mares Abyss 22 Extreme does look sexy!

Not that I've picked up the Mares Proton but I'd imagine that the Abyss will be far lighter. Which is something to consider when going for a all metal body. After all your comfort is an important factor when buying kit.

Ditto,

e-bay for lots of used Dacor and US Divers chrome 2nds, as well as the Scubapro, Healthways, AMF/Voit/Mares, etc. If you look long and hard you just may find a few NIB units still stashed away at LDS and commercial diver supply companies.

I would avoid the Healthways, Sportways and Voit regs unless you are interested in the vintage aspects of them. They use an oddball sized diaphram and the originals were hard to start with, much less now. Plus many of the older ones are a tilt valve design, you do not want to mess with them. They are very poor performers and the tilt valve requires some form of pressure relief on the first stage.
Your best bets are the SP (the 109 is a great choice) or most all of the US Divers metal seconds. The Voit/AMF Titan/MR2 is also a geat one if you replace the diaphram with a modern one and rebuild it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom