Mexicana Airlines-- Reliability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DStack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are headed to Mexico in Sept and are looking at flights out of Chicago (ORD). For $60 more than the flight I found on Delta, we can fly direct on Mexicana. We have never flown them and were wondering about reliability, service etc. Any feedback would be great.

I prefer Mexicana to many US carriers -- it has "good company culture." The crews have always been very nice and helpful; the airline (at least last time I flew with them) continues to offer passengers amenities like free meals and drinks, free headsets. If there's an airport delay you may be caught up in it, but otherwise Mexicana does a good job -- it's a modern, international airline.

I am surprised to learn that you can fly ORD-CZM without going through Mexico City -- that's great news!

Worked just fine for us this year LAX to COZ via Mexico City. Only issue was on return flight they didn't have any US customs forms in English. Very minor issue. Otherwise it was great and I'd sure do it again.

I flew from Ohare direct to Cancun in April. We were on American on the trip out and Mexicana on the way back - I believe they are partners. They had some issues with the air conditioning on the Mexicana flight, but the free drinks made it a little bit more bearable. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them.

We've flown American, Continental and Mexicana from SFO to CZM. Unfortunately for us, Continental has the best prices and flight times. Mexicana was a GREAT the one time we flew with them, I wish I could use them every time.

Thanks for the feedback. To clarify, the direct flight is ORD-CUN. I wish I could afford the direct flight to CZM, but the cost was just shy of twice what it would cost to fly to CUN.

Backing up some of the others, I have over 3 million miles on American, and about 1 million on Continental since starting Aldora Divers in 1992...and now I prefer Mexicana and Aeromexico!

And going through Cancun is less risky than missed connections in Houston or Dallas, and probably more fun.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The one time I used them was just a connecting flight from Cancun to CZM on one of their small twin prop planes. The chickens in the cage at the front of the plane with our luggage was a cool addition. Lol The plane took off and landed safely so I have no complaints.

Thanks for the feedback. To clarify, the direct flight is ORD-CUN. I wish I could afford the direct flight to CZM, but the cost was just shy of twice what it would cost to fly to CUN.

That's one of the great unanswered questions..... It's like that from Miami as well.

Can anyone answer why that is?

My wife and I are headed to Mexico in Sept and are looking at flights out of Chicago (ORD). For $60 more than the flight I found on Delta, we can fly direct on Mexicana. We have never flown them and were wondering about reliability, service etc. Any feedback would be great.

I've flown them several times from ord to cun. During the winter it is better to have the non-stop. I've beaten a friend once, I had a non stop to Cancun left at 9:30 took the bus and ferry, He left at 6 am and had a connection in Dallas (AA) straight to Coz, He got to Coz 3 hours latter than scheduled because of delays. I was able to get to Coz without delays and the flight got into Cancun 20 min early. Beat my friend by 2 hours. He was lucky to get out of Dallas that day due to an ice storm.

I'm on that flight in Nov. AA also has a non-stop on Sat. but it is about $50 more and you get less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom