Miami diver bitten by bull shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've yet to shoot a fish in the known presence of a bull shark or any reef shark. But they have a way of coming in out of nowhere once a fish is hit. It's amazing how fast they are.

Exactly, let's all end the speculation, chances are very good he had no idea that shark was in the area. When you spearfish sharks are always a possibility, attacks are rare but crap happens and any spearfisherman worth his salt goes in knowing he is taking a risk, albeit a statistically small risk. The guy was doing nothing illegal and nothing many of us haven't done hundreds of thousands of times without incident. This wasn't the sharks fault, and probably wasn't the divers fault either.

From what I've heard, the ones in Jupiter Florida come when they hear spearguns discharge.
It's their dinner bell! :rofl3:

Holy crap flying sharks!!!!!
That's it, I'm giving up diving, giving up boating, and moving further away from the beach. :shocked2:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I heard the shark is headed south to Key Largo eat all of the snorkelers on the critter feed. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
Note to self: Buy lots of "Wife eaten by shark while snorkeling in Key Largo" insurance. When we get to Key Largo, sign wife up for snorkeling.:D

Yes, you can and it's very good.

Tasty, yes it is...........Ciguatera on the other hand sucks, stick to the small ones.

Help me out here...

Matherson Hammock is off of Old Cutler Road, on the West side of the Bay, right?

They reported they were 20 miles away in 30ft of water, yet they were able to make the return trip in a CC boat, what looks like 20ft of less, with a 150hp engine in 25minutes?

My buddy has a similar boat and the fastest we've ever been is 48mph and that was with glass smooth water!

Is this just poor reporting or am I missing something?

Newsflash, hysterical divers suffering severe trauma and vulture reporters may not be the most accurate purveyors of fact.

Always amazes me living in Miami for 30 years how poor the reporting is on anything diving related.

Give them some credit at least they didn't report the divers using oxygen tanks.:rofl3:

Note to self: Buy lots of "Wife eaten by shark while snorkeling in Key Largo" insurance. When we get to Key Largo, sign wife up for snorkeling.:D
:rofl3::rofl3:
Where does one purchase such insurance? I might need a policy also.

Help me out here...

Matherson Hammock is off of Old Cutler Road, on the West side of the Bay, right?

They reported they were 20 miles away in 30ft of water, yet they were able to make the return trip in a CC boat, what looks like 20ft of less, with a 150hp engine in 25minutes?

My buddy has a similar boat and the fastest we've ever been is 48mph and that was with glass smooth water!

Is this just poor reporting or am I missing something?

Local 10 news first said they were snorkeling from shore. Your guess is as good as mine

Last edited:
Sh sh SH SHHH SHARK!! Ding Ding Ding.. sell all your gear for cheap!! QUICK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom