Micromask owners: Did you use toothpaste for initial treatment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apperently the lens are pre-coated with some process that retards fogging. Toothpaste has abrasive qualities which removes such coatings. I am however speaking about glass lens and not the cheaper plastic varieties...

There are only a few masks that are pretreated to be anti-fog and they advertise this feature. Most masks are not treated with anything that prevents fogging and toothpaste will not harm them in any way. Toothpaste does seem to help new masks from fogging and it does not harm them so feel free to scrub away.

Just got a new Aqualung Micromask, and I'm wondering if good old-fashioned toothpaste is the best way to do an initial cleaning to fight fogging. Once upon a time, toothpaste was the norm for ANY new mask, but I think times have changed.
I have 3 Aqualung Micromask that I use for pool training and skin dive at the seaside. I am very happy about it, since I have a "slim" face usually I have trouble to find a mask that fit well.
I treated all them with toothpaste twice (Colgate brand) and they are perfect.
In my opinion they are not good for diving due to their limited viewing angles, but best from freediving.
For diving I use AquaLung Infinity

I used one of the scrub cleaners which did some good, however the best results came after using just non gel "white" toothpaste. The mask did not fog after about 5-8 scrubings.

FYI: scrub products should only be used on GLASS lenses. Otherwise you will scratch the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks out of the polycarbonate ones.

Back
Top Bottom