Miflex vs Phantom Double Braided Kevlar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought Miflex hoses and they caused the ice cream in my freezer to go all melty. And my laundry... the whites are not as white... and the colors not as vibrant!

Or maybe it was the split-fins that caused that?

It was split fins! :rofl3:

I bought Miflex hoses and they caused the ice cream in my freezer to go all melty. And my laundry... the whites are not as white... and the colors not as vibrant!

Or maybe it was the split-fins that caused that?

The whites are still white and the colors are vibrant, it's just the mask on your forehead cutting off proper circulation.

The Ice Cream is definately the split fins but the whites aren't whites at all....just colors that faded to white because of the mask on forehead.

Imagine how different this sport would be if Mike Nelson had those new-fangled kevlar hoses instead of the rubber ones on his double hose rig. He would have been invincible during those underwater knife fights. It wouldn't have taken him long to decide to turn to the dark side. He would have gone for world domination. No doubt in my mind.

We have hijacked this thread and it has took a turn for the worse.

I've also heard that the miflex hoses can cause chaffing on the back of your neck.
That is 100% true.
I converted one of my sidemount regs to a long hose/bungee back up singles reg for a rec trip. After 16 dives in 4 days and about 15 hours total in the water, my neck was rubbed raw and after a 5 day surface interval it is still scabbed all the way across the back of my neck.

If I do that again, I am going to either wear a lightweight full hood for neck protection or I will put a piece of 1/2" ID latex tubing 12-15" long over the miflex hose where it crosses over the back of my neck.

I sure hope the Phantom hoses don't do that.
I'll be running mine with my octo on a necklace and passing my primary if need be.

That is 100% true.
I converted one of my sidemount regs to a long hose/bungee back up singles reg for a rec trip. After 16 dives in 4 days and about 15 hours total in the water, my neck was rubbed raw and after a 5 day surface interval it is still scabbed all the way across the back of my neck.

If I do that again, I am going to either wear a lightweight full hood for neck protection or I will put a piece of 1/2" ID latex tubing 12-15" long over the miflex hose where it crosses over the back of my neck.

I haven't had any problems with the Miflex long hose and neck chaffing. I spent a 14 dive weekend in Cozumel and a 19 dive week in Bonaire without any problems.

Of course, everyone's neck is different, so YMMV.

I haven't had any problems with the Miflex long hose and neck chaffing. I spent a 14 dive weekend in Cozumel and a 19 dive week in Bonaire without any problems.

At the risk of "piling on" or "one-upping" I've done 57 dives hour+ dives in 17 days of diving in Truk and never noticed the hose on my neck once. 60hrs or so under water has to be about "worst case" scenario in terms of time spent having the hose on my neck.

Less wear and tear, but have also done 5-dives a day on week-long liveaboard and Bonaire trips and have never noticed the hose laying on my neck, much less any sort of chaffing.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but there may be individual gear configuration differences that cause or obviate the issue. Perhaps those that experience the problem somehow have their hoses wrapped/routed tighter?

I think the chafing issue can be resolved by a simple re-routing of the hoses, placing it in a farther LP port forcing the hose to loop a bit more than if it were on a closer port. Especially on a Swivel 1st stage (IE: MK25)

I will be using the miflex hoses on My reg set Vs. the Phantom, we carry both and the flexibility is a better on the miflex.

my .02$

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom