Mask leaks over time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming you have the right sized mask and you are wearing it properly the mask should rarely leak. The mask should sit lightly on your face with minimal suction. At the end of every day of diving and before your first day of diving the mask has to be cleaned and this includes the rubber portion that meets your face. The way it’s cleaned is with warm water a toothbrush and dawn soap. Throughly rise all the soap out with cold water. If you do this regularly keeping your mask clean….it won’t leak. An invisible layer of gunk gets on the rubber seal portion and will cause the mask to leak. The process I just explained also helps to keep the mask clear if you use good defog.

Gonna
Assuming you have the right sized mask and you are wearing it properly the mask should rarely leak. The mask should sit lightly on your face with minimal suction. At the end of every day of diving and before your first day of diving the mask has to be cleaned and this includes the rubber portion that meets your face. The way it’s cleaned is with warm water a toothbrush and dawn soap. Throughly rise all the soap out with cold water. If you do this regularly keeping your mask clean….it won’t leak. An invisible layer of gunk gets on the rubber seal portion and will cause the mask to leak. The process I just explained also helps to keep the mask clear if you use good defog.
gonna Pack an xtra toothbrush

LDS today per earlier recommendation and the damn thing didn’t leak that bad. Tightened up one click and maybe that helped. DM couldn’t see any issue but when I got out of pool he said my smile lines were pretty deep.

when it did leak, tried two masks, both leaked at upper lip. Neither had very much skirt there. Any mask with wider skirt on bottom of mad?

Go through the basics again, hair, beard, too tight, too loose, crease on the skin, hood, strap position, breathing out through the nose unintentionally... Last one is disassemble the mask and reassemble it again, I take it that you have one of the exchangeable lenses, so this should not be too complicated, perhaps the lens is not sitting well in the frame.. Swap the mask with your buddy for a dive to see whether the problem could be behind the mask :cool: .
Great advice here. Hopefully, this will solve the issue.

LDS today per earlier recommendation and the damn thing didn’t leak that bad. Tightened up one click and maybe that helped. DM couldn’t see any issue but when I got out of pool he said my smile lines were pretty deep.

when it did leak, tried two masks, both leaked at upper lip. Neither had very much skirt there. Any mask with wider skirt on bottom of mad?

Do you have reg in your mouth properly before setting your mask on your face?

Do you clench the reg also?

If you clench you’ll tense the muscles around your mouth, if you are lean that may be enough to crate gaps.

I have never done that… And I have been using the same mask for many years.
Now I have tried an anniversary oceanic mask recently on loan from my friend (it was brand new at the time). I loved it for the first 2 dives. Then it started to leak a little and then a lot - that is over 10 dives period of time. Maybe that mask needs to be cleaned with dawn and toothbrush. I went back to my tried and true Atomic and continue to dive it. I guess it gets clean some with J&J baby shampoo I put on a glass sometime and a rinse bucket…

I have never done that… And I have been using the same mask for many years.
Now I have tried an anniversary oceanic mask recently on loan from my friend (it was brand new at the time). I loved it for the first 2 dives. Then it started to leak a little and then a lot - that is over 10 dives period of time. Maybe that mask needs to be cleaned with dawn and toothbrush. I went back to my tried and true Atomic and continue to dive it. I guess it gets clean some with J&J baby shampoo I put on a glass sometime and a rinse bucket…
Trust me it works.

Just got back from a trip and the first day my new mask (got fitted by a shop - Scubapro) worked fine - no leaks.
Day two kind of iffy and once it started to leak it got worse.
By the fifth day it leaked constantly.
No hair in mask - no stuble to cause problems - mask seal clean (new) and not wearing it overly tight.
Started to wonder if my reg was causing the problem - new Miflex dual swivel hose - so I took reg out and tried to re boot mask and it still leaked.
Still wondering if hose isn't the problem - longer than previous - but as I think about it that may have been why I replaced the mask in the first place - constant leaking.
Got any voodoo or thoughts on the matter?
Thanks in advance?
d
Ive had that issue and discovered that the mask skirt around the bottom was too long. My mask leaked from the bottom!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom