Might become a diver!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering the responses to do the coursework ahead of time:

1) Should I do the PADI on-line eCourse or
2) Take the pool & classroom at a local dive shop?

Thanks!

I would advise local shop. You can learn more about obtaining your own gear. And get a better understanding of the safety through personal experience from a real instructor.

Anyone else? I'm getting ready to start my research into local dive shops (Chicago suburbs in the middle of winter) or the internet class.

I started just like -- did a course at a local shop before a vacation, and I'm completely sold on diving now. And not just myself -- my wife and two oldest children are avid divers, and the younger two kids can't wait to get their classes, and it's become a great family activity!

I strongly advise against the on-line e-learning route. Get a course with an instructor that is recommended by someone you trust (If you tell us where you live, you'll get great recommendations from this board!). I'd go a step further and suggest that you not only do the course at home, but also that you try and schedule at least 1 local dive outing after your certification, with a more experienced local diver if you can. The more experience you have prior to our vacation, the more you'll enjoy yourself while you're there!

I'd also recommend that you spend some time reading once you're certified. The book "Diver Down" is a somewhat scary, but in my opinion, essential book for new divers -- it takes real world accidents and analyses what happened and how the accident could have been avoided. It can be scary -- so if reading about bad things happening to others turns you off, avoid it -- but it will teach you a lot about how to think about diving.

And read these boards -- this community can be a bit pugilistic at times, but most folks here really do want to help people be better divers.

Welcome to Scuba Board!!! I agree with most of the people who say to try to get the pool/class in your hometown before your trip. It will save you tme and money. Besides you will be better prepared to dive.

You will absolutely love the experience!

Thanks again for all the advice!
My wife, oldest son and I are reading the book now and have our 1st class and 1st pool session this Saturday and Sunday.

Yaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!
We are certified! My wife, oldest son and I just completed our open water dives and have our temporary cards! Now to find a dive operator for our trip in two weeks to the Riveria Maya area - Barcelo Maya Colonial to be exact!

Can't wait to actually see some color (did open water in quarry where everything was brown)!

Back
Top Bottom