Migraine from dive suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I am brand new to this site, hope someone can help me. I have a 1 year old Henderson Gold Core 7 mil suit. The smell of the neoprene gives me a migraine headache. I really love this suit, as I am the original chilly willy & it was pricey, so getting another suit is not an option. Is there anyway to get rid of this smell? Does it just need to be used more? Help!!

Personally, I love the smell of neoprene.

Sell your suit on Ebay and get a dry suit.

Dont' wash your suit and soon enough you'll get another smell-or should I say "funk"

Is this your first Neoprene suit? I think it's possible to be allergic to neoprene....

I agree with the other replies, try washing it a few times, if that doesn't work, ditch it.

Getting another suit has to be an option if this one makes you sick. One thing I recommend, rent a suit (likely well-used and washed many times) and see if it gives you the same problem. Allergies can pop up out of nowhere regardless of how old you are. If that's the case you need to look into a shell drysuit.

Hope this helps you.

Tom

Hi Kat:

I too have a Henderson 7mm Gold Core and I love it. Don't recall it smelling poorly. Anyway I agree with the rest, just wash it in a mild soap or shampoo and that should help.

.............Arduous...................

It seems everyone is in agreement with shampooing the suit. I think it is going to need alot of fragrant shampoo to help get rid of the smell. I had rented neoprene suits before I bought this one & never had a problem. But none of them were this exact style. I thought maybe it was the thickness of the neoprene. Too much of a good thing.
Thanks for everyones help.
Kat

Hi Kat,
Your post made me start wondering. I have the exact same Henderson Gold Core suit (which I love-by the way) as well as a SeaQuest 7mm. I just performed a "sniff test" and they both smell the same to me.
However, you mentioned some concern about the thickness of the neoprene. Does the suit fit well? I have found that I need to get a slightly larger size in thicker suits than what I wear in 3mm for example.
You may also want to try storing the suit in a well ventilated area. I keep my suits hanging on a rolling rack in a back hallway rather than in a closet. (Makes my apartment look like a dive shop :) )

Good Luck

Viv brought up a good point, could it be the fit that is causing the problem? Or are you pretty sure it is the smell? Also, where is it that you store your suit. Storing it in a place like a garage is a bad idea. Car exhuast reeks havoc on the neoprene, plus the smell and carbon monoxide will stay in it for a while.

If smell is your problem, you can do what I did. I placed my suit in the washing machine with warm water. I used both Woolite, and Febreeze. I let it soak for 2 hours. Move it around every 10 minutes or so, that way the whole thing stays submerged. You can also use soft weights to hold it down in the bottom of the washer. If you used weights, remove them and start the gentle cycle. I did this twice, and my suit was much more pleasant smelling.

Good Luck.

It is the smell, because it bothers me even when I'm not wearing it. It's no problem when I'm actually diving-as smelling anything seems impossible. I keep my suit in the basement. It's hanging w/ other clothing. There are no fumes(that I know of) as my furnace & water heater are on the main floor. I like the washing machine idea. Seems easier than the tub.
As for the size, I wish I had bought it a little bigger. I've gained some weight & it was too tight the last time I used it.(I felt like a sausage in a tight casing) One more reason to diet. I think the tight dive suit is going to be the incentive I need!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom