Mini Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Someone mentioned to me there are some mini Caymans Islands that may have good diving.

Any feedback on them?

Are they less expensive that the main island?

Any decent shore diving on these islands?

Thanks

Cayman islands are known for great diving, but the cost of living there are also among the most expensive in the Caribbeans.

For shore diving, I dove at Eden Rock very near the Georgetown cruise terminal. It was fairly good. There is an Abanks stand that rents out gears and tanks. Just a few steps down is the Eden Rock dive center. The day I was there Eden rock dive center was closed, so I rented from the Abanks stand.

allenwrench:
Someone mentioned to me there are some mini Caymans Islands that may have good diving.

Any feedback on them?

Are they less expensive that the main island?

Any decent shore diving on these islands?

Thanks

That would be Cayman Brac and Little Cayman.

It depends how you like your vacation, do you want inclusive, or can you cook a few meals, your choice would dictate how expensive you want to go.

The shore diving would be and is good at both Islands, but the availability to get a tank is about zero.

That would, in fact, be Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, sometimes known as the "Sister Islands." The diving at Little Cayman is spectacular, the diving at Cayman Brac is a little less spectacular. It's still fairly expensive, but I think less expensive than Grand Cayman. Check out Little Cayman Beach Resort and the Brac Reef Beach Resort. They have the same owner and dive operation. Rates are pretty reasonable. We were at the Brac Reef a few weeks ago and it was great. When you look at the rates, consider that tips for the housekeeping and dining room staff are included in the rate. Their packages usually include three boat dives a day. Shore diving is possible, but there really isn't any access from either of the resorts themselves. A rental car would really be necessary to get to the good access points. We decided it really wasn't worth the aggravation and expense.

The diving at Little Cayman is among the best in the world. Bloody Bay Wall is there and you will dive where pirate ships fought battles hundreds of years ago. The anchors and chains are still there. Problem is that the island SUCKS IMHO. It is BORING and LCBR although nice enough is not what they makwe it out to be. Thwe island has about 70 permanent residents and 1/2 of them are raging aLlcoholics driving around blasted outr of their minds! I almost got killed on the back of a truck one night, the driver was so drunk. There are no police on the island so drunk driving is quite common.

SlaveToTheReg:
The diving at Little Cayman is among the best in the world. Bloody Bay Wall is there and you will dive where pirate ships fought battles hundreds of years ago. The anchors and chains are still there. Problem is that the island SUCKS IMHO. It is BORING and LCBR although nice enough is not what they makwe it out to be. Thwe island has about 70 permanent residents and 1/2 of them are raging aLlcoholics driving around blasted outr of their minds! I almost got killed on the back of a truck one night, the driver was so drunk. There are no police on the island so drunk driving is quite common.

It could get pretty expensive to be a raging alcoholic on Little Cayman or, for that matter, anywhere in the Caymans.

SlaveToTheReg:
...Little Cayman ... There are no police on the island so drunk driving is quite common.

Actually, there are two full time police on Little Cayman. Certainly not a huge force, but it is a tiny resident population.

SlaveToTheReg:

You may not like Little Cayman if you can't mostly entertain yourself. For the folks who want to have a relaxing vacation with good diving and are happy snoozing in a hammock with a book between dives it rocks. I have not really seen them promise anything at LCBR that they haven't delivered. It is a small island and small place, if you're expecting a resort like Atlantis in the Bahamas or something then yeah, you'll be disappointed.

Not to say it never happens but I've never seen a drunk driver on Little Cayman. And by the way, it is against the law for people to ride in the back of a pickup truck in Cayman, so you might keep that in mind so you don't get caught by the police that, as Drew says, do exist on Little Cayman.

How can you be bored in little cayman ? If you have any energy left you can fit in another dive :)

Doug

We went to LCM & GCM in January and loved both places. We stayed in a 3 bedroom ocean front condo at "The Club," a part of LCBR http://www.theclubatlittlecayman.com/ and it was one of the nicest places we have ever stayed in the Carib. We bought breakfast, snack items and drinks at local grocery store and ate at different resorts for dinner each night - they pick you up for free.

My 2 late teen children had such a great time riding bikes for hours at night that they slept in instead of going diving. It is the safest island we have ever been on. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised by how much our children enjoyed LC.

Here's topside photos: http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/gallery/2387521#125111800

The diving is the best I have ever done. Bloody Bay Wall is incredible! Divers dive their own profiles - some went over or through (some great swim throughs) the wall, down to 110 or so, others stayed on top of the wall, 40 to 60 ft, and others dove the shallower area toward the shore. Reef Divers at LCBR has the best boats of any dive shop o the island: http://www.littlecayman.com/diving/diving.php

Here's my UW shots: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2408079#126230439

Cheers, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom