minimalist back inflate BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't this great with all these new wings coming out? Its funny what causes a big stir, this year, its definitely the wings...

Halcyon, Dive Rite, and Oxycheq are all going to be battling it out for most market share in the wing department. It will be interesting to see who comes out ahead...

In the end, I believe it will be the wing that is the most durable, and the one that has the least problems...

Bob3 once bubbled...
If you want something really minimalist, you may want to take a look at a SEATEC Seahorse. It's a simple wing & a plain backpack, design hasn't changed for a looooong time.:wink:

Very interesting....it's virtually identical to the late 70's Scubapro back inflate that I started diving with. Is there a website around in somethig other than Italian? Or a US distributor. This would make a nice new-but-still-vintage style BC to use with my double hose reg. (I like vintage double hose regs but I'm not a big fan of the horse collar style BC)

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
Is there a website around in somethig other than Italian? Or a US distributor.
Every once in awhile I have just the right hammer for just the right nail...

Ta da! http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/Seatec.html

Roak

Well you are gettign alot of feedback. For adj and size a back plate and wings is the best, then you need to figure out how to secure and balance weights. I had a knight hawk and thought the weight intergration was awesome. Also the Knitehawk fabric is made to suck in water and be less boyant than most bc, I need about 4-6 less with a knitehawk. The weights can also be inserted after the bc is dawned easly which is an advantage.

... late 70's Scubapro back inflate...
The SEATEC came out early - mid '70s (maybe earlier), I have one on my little AGA twins. Both critters were years ahead of their time. (try finding a 4400 psi fill in 1972)
The SEATECs are made out here in CA, mfgr's website is http://www.4seatec.com
Nowdays they do mostly OEM work for other "dive gear companies".:wink:

Thanks everyone for the many quick replies! This board has been an invaluable resource as I learned to dive this summer.

I am not in an extreme rush to buy so I don't mind waiting to check out new options. I am not totally stuck on the 4 I mentioned but I liked the reviews of those BCs and also I know that they are easily available locally.

The water is cold here and I plan on going up to Northern California sometimes so I have a warm wetsuit. It is a 2-piece suit, a 7mm full suit with a 5mm attached hood shorty. That takes a little extra weight. I am about 6' 2, 180. But I am going diving tomorrow so I'll try another buoyancy check. Maybe I can take a little weight out. With 30 lbs, all my equipment, and no air in my BC I floated just below eye level but did not sink.

As for the Seatec Seahorse. Yes, that looks very minimal. I actually tried one very similar that the instructor brought in when I wanted to compare back inflate to jacket inflate. It might have been the same BC. But compared to the jacket style BC I used the for the other dives I felt less stable underwater. It could just be me getting used to it (skill level), but with the other jacket BC I didn't feel any tendancy to roll at all. I think I like the back-inflate style, but I learned it is more fun with a very stable BC...

In the shop the Knighthawk felt very comfortable, but I was advised against the two-step weight release.

So many options for the new diver! I'll keep reading more responses if they come and take time in making my decision. I don't think the shop has rental models of these BCs I can test first. All they have are jacket BCs.

Thanks again,
Raposa

raposa...

I have (and love) the Balance - but I would recommend against it as your weight requirement is probably too great for it to be a long-term choice (unless you can shed the lead). There are circumstances which might require that you have more lift (assuming that the 32 lbs. requires a signicantly inflated BC while at the max depth you anticipate being at) than I think you will have with it. Even with the full 7mm - a person of your size shold not require that much weight. I am assuming that the weight is needed to decend, but not to stay down at depth (IE - your BC is mostly inflated at depth to offset the weight requirement at the surface). If I'm wrong, it may just be the right choice. Dive 'em all and draw your own conclusions (don't be swayed by what we say - it should work best for you!)

30lbs is the limit for a balance.
10 in the trim pockets and 10 in either front pocket.

I dove mine wet (7ml farmer john) up in the sound a couple of times before I went dry. IMO it had adequate lift.

It's a nice BC, I'd still be diving it if I hadn't tried a BP+wings.

I use the Zeagle Concept II Pro and change over to the Escape bladder when I travel. The Concept II harness is rip cord style and holds 15 lb per weight pocket. It has no pockets and is very streamlined. You can also mix and match the shoulder harness and weight belt based on the size you need.

I disagree with jhelmuth.

36lbs(for ML) is more than enough lift for a person using 31lbs with a AL80 tank. At depth the maximum lift you need is probably maybe 25lbs, due to wetsuit compression. At the surface any air in the BC above 5lbs(for weight of air in tank, with full tank) will directly contribute to lifting you out of the water. So, 36lbs is more than adequate. Heck, I used to dive with a BC with 30lbs lift with no problem. (I need 30lbs)

Also, 31lbs is not unreasonable. I used to dive with a 6.5mm semi dry with 7mm vest, I'm 5'11", 150lbs, and needed 30lbs. As for the 1 pound that won't fit in the Balance weight pocket, you can see if you can squeeze out one pound of weight from your weight requirement, which is not hard at all since your lungs can adjust in the range of at least 5lbs, or attach the extra pound somewhere on your gear. Pretty soon, your weight requirement will go down, because some of the trapped air bubbles in your wetsuit will be crushed and your wetsuit will lose buoyancy over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom