Help narrowing down BC options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No2rdame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yep, here comes another newbie thread on BC advice, but hopefully my questions will be a little different. Background: newly certified and wanting to continue diving/learning on my own equipment. My LDS uses Knighthawks, so my only experience is with back inflate and I'd like to keep it that way. I've narrowed down a handful of bc's I'd like to look at, but to do so means I'll have to hit about 3-4 shops since each store only carries certain brands. Recently adopted a beautiful baby girl, so my time and funds have been drastically hit. Thus, I'm on a VERY limited budget but want to start shopping and comparing now to know how much money I'll need to start "diverting" to purchase. I know renting is cheaper for now, but in the long run I'd like to learn and be more comfortable in my own equipment as time goes on, plus since most of my diving will be with my LDS my rental options are very limited. Here are my questions:

1. Which brands are simplest to maintain and cheapest to service?
2. Are there any brands that I should avoid from a customer-service perspective? Are some better than others?
3. Apart from some of the gimmicky features, are there any specific things I should take note of when narrowing my selection?
4. I'm open to a bp/w, but I'm overwhelmed with the information out there. A ton of options and pricing seems to 5. be high. I'm sure there are inexpensive ways to do this, but where to start?
Is there a decent source online to compare and contrast multiple bcs side by side? I haven't had much luck finding this sort of comparison method.

For the record, my favorites so far just from online research are:
Hollis HD200
Knighthawk/Seahawk (a little higher than I'd like to spend, but familiar with them)
Tusa Imprex Power Pro (I really like the price on this one, but not a lot of info on it out there)
Zeagle Ranger or Stiletto (a bit pricy, plus the nearby dive shops that carry them are meh. One is far from the house and the other I don't like for a few reasons)

hopefully my questions will be a little different.

LOL! From one noobie diver to another... there are no new questions at this level, only questions that reflect one's journey to find the RIGHT questions. Anyway, the quick answer is that bcd's are the least maintenance-intensive of any of the "major" dive gear purchases. Just check the reviews for obvious problems and you should be fine. I did a write-up on my purchases here.

And as a warm-water diver the DGX BP/W is pretty much as good as you are likely to find if the wing size meets your buoyancy needs. I'd take it over any of the other bcd's you mentioned if the wing was big enough for my diving needs. But that is a personal choice. As for your last question, nope. I mean, you could reasonably buy almost any bcd and it would be an adequate performer for you - but getting the optimum bcd for your diving style and needs, including limited diving dollars - that is quite a research and learning process, really a scuba skill all its own to my mind.

Thanks for the information provided. I know a lot of newbies don't like the idea of a bp/w setup, but it's obvious there are some big advantages to them in terms of flexibility and functionality. I appreciate the recommendations of the DGX bp/w and the $299.00 package, it's something I'll seriously look into. Plus, it gives me an excuse to make a weekend trip of heading down to Broward County.

As for the other equipment, I took a quick glance at your write-up and it's got some good information, so when I'm not as exhausted I'll read through it more thoroughly. So, even though this is in the BCD section if you or anyone else wants to add input into which brands of equipment (particularly with regs) has lower costs of servicing I'm all ears.

I hate to throw another option out there, but for absolute comfort, I love my Diverite Transpac. I own an aluminum BP/W with a Transplate, as well as 6 other jacket type BCDs and the goto rig is the Transpac with an older Venture wing. If you kept the standard power inflator, servicing costs would be less than $20 for a new power inflator and about $5 for an over pressure valve through Dive Gear Express. Wing bladders last a long time if taken care of.

I have a pull shoulder dump and an Air2 on mine. The beauty of these systems is you can set them up EXACTLY how you want them, and since they are modular, they are easy to change without buying a whole new BCD.

Also, if you can hold off until "Black Friday" most of the online retailers will have insane specials. Dive Rite In Scuba in particular. The Hog al back plate and 23# tropical wing was less than $200. Northeast Scuba Supply had Transplate harnesses for $60 or $70. 90% of my gear was bought used as well.

Good luck!
Jay

@No2rdame there was a thread within the past week or two about what was good for a newbie to buy new vs. used.

If you're on FB, there is a sale group with lots of deals.

SCUBA gear Swap & Shop Public Group | Facebook

A mask is very personal and depends on fit. Cost doesn't matter. Lots of wetsuits are available used if you can get past the fact that someone else has probably peed in them. Great deals if you're not squeamish. Fins, SMB/spool, gear bag, snorkel, dive computer are all available used and inexpensive.

The regulator is the only thing I'd hesitate to buy used as you don't know what to look for as a novice and service costs might very well negate any savings from buying used. I bought a reg set used, but it was from someone I trusted.

I'd strongly recommend spring straps on whatever fins you get. You can retrofit them if fins don't come with them.

Unless your feet are a weird fit, DGX has wet suit booties for $25 that I love. They're great. They have some $30 masks you might try out, too.

Also, if you can hold off until "Black Friday" most of the online retailers will have insane specials. Dive Rite In Scuba in particular. The Hog al back plate and 23# tropical wing was less than $200.

Dive RIGHT in Scuba is the online retailer. Dive RITE is an equipment manufacturer.

No2rdame:
Yep, here comes another newbie thread on BC advice
And, that is fine! The way people learn on SB is to ask questions! Good for you.
No2rdame:
1. Which brands are simplest to maintain and cheapest to service?
A reasonable question, for which a simple answer may be somewhat elusive. In general, I would say that there is NOT one, or even two, brands that are conspicuously easier to service, so I don’t think you will be able to use that criteria as a basis for selection. Many BCDs are very similar, servicing is very straightforward, and ease of service is impaired only by availability of parts. Most major manufacturers supply parts quickly, the only issue is whether a particular shop you might wish to use is an authorized dealer for the particular brand. Now, that may not be true in some more remote (e.g. Caribbean) dive destinations. But, on the continent, getting service is relatively easy.
No2rdame:
2. Are there any brands that I should avoid from a customer-service perspective? Are some better than others?
Again, a reasonable question but not a simple answer. Most major manufacturers fully stand behind their gear. Yes, you can probably find at least one SB member who has had issues with any particular manufacturer that you might consider. But, the question is probably better framed as, ‘Are there any brands that I should more actively consider from a customer-service perspective?” And, there are several that come to mind: Deep Sea Supply, represented here on the SB by the owner, Tobin (cool_hardware52), has a reputation for excellent service. I have had nothing but outstanding customer service experiences with Halcyon (although their gear is a little pricier to begin with). And, before Zeagle was acquired by Huish Outdoors, I had terrific customer service support from Zeagle (which has, unfortunately, changed a bit since the acquisition). ScubaPro and Aqualung / Apeks have well-established dealer networks around the world, and offer very good product lines. And, certain smaller manufacturers seem to attract a very devoted following (HOG, Deep Six, etc.). IOW, there are any number of good manufacturers, all of whom stand behind their gear! What you will also find is that the dealer / retail vendor makes a lot of difference in customer service, probably more than the manufacturer. Dive Gear Express, Dive Right In Scuba, Northeast Scuba Supply have already been mentioned, and I have had particularly good experiences with all three, and none of them are local to me.
No2rdame:
3. Apart from some of the gimmicky features, are there any specific things I should take note of when narrowing my selection?
Basically, you should look for a) simplicity (i.e. NO gimmicks), b) lift, and c) consider YOUR individual buoyancy characteristics and those of the BCD, and see how well they match. Far too many divers start out with an oversized (i.e. far more lift capacity than needed), very ‘floaty’ fabric BCD with unnecessary padding, that is difficult to optimslly trim at depth, and which requires the diver to add weight just to offset the positive buoyancy of the BCD. They try a BCD on in a local shop, and it feels great. But, how it ‘feels’ on the retail floor generally has little to do with how it functions in the water. For single cylinder diving in moderate temperatures (e.g. 1 – 3mm wetsuit), you generally won’t need more than 30 lb of lift, if that much. Personally, I really like having a crotch strap, which adds stability to the rig. I also like two cam straps to keep the cylinder stable. But, those are, again, MY preferences.
No2rdame:
4. I'm open to a bp/w, but I'm overwhelmed with the information out there. A ton of options and pricing seems to 5. be high. I'm sure there are inexpensive ways to do this, but where to start?
It is interesting, and unfortunate, that the absolutely simplest approach to buoyancy compensation (BP/W) seems to create such confusion, but you are not alone. Part of the problem is that too many local shops know next to nothing about BP/W rigs (and next to nothing about BCDs, for that matter) and simply direct customers to whatever BCD brand, and high margin model, they happen to sell ('We sell a lot of these.', or 'This is our most popular model.'). Yes, that is a criticism, and I say it as someone who a) truly believes in supporting local shops, but b) is not infrequently disappointed by the level of knowledge (abysmal) of shop staff. For a backplate, your primary considerations boil down to the a) material (steel, vs aluminum, vs fabric), the b) harness (a simple continuous of webbing, vs more complex ‘deluxe’ harnesses, and c) wing size. I happen to dive a steel BP, with a single piece harness, and a 30lb wing. But, I am also positively buoyant (I have worked on adding a bit of bioprene over my adult life. :)). And, I always wear a full wetsuit – 1 mm in warmer Caribbean waters, 3mm in FL Keys water, 5mm off the Carolina coast. If I was 20, very lean, diving only in 82 degree water, etc. I might routinely use an AL, or even a fabric plate like the TransPac.
No2rdame:
Is there a decent source online to compare and contrast multiple bcs side by side? I haven't had much luck finding this sort of comparison method.
Realistically, no.

Finally, you mention several options you are considering, and I will give you my $0.02, which isn’t particularly positive about ANY of them (nothing particularly awful about them, just nothing that would commend them to me as a possible BCD for single cylinder, recreational diving). But, the caveat: these are MY opinions, based on what works for ME. The observations may or may not be applicable to YOUR diving. And, I know from previous threads that there are some vigorous enthusiasts on SB for several of these models, even though my assessments may not be altogether positive.

Hollis HD-200: nice BCD; more lift (35-45 lbs) than you need for single cylinder diving; unnecessary padding.

Zeagle Ranger: very durable, and quite popular, BCD; far more lift (44 lbs) than you need for single cylinder diving (although you can opt for a smaller wing, but for more money); unnecessary padding. My first BCD was a Ranger. It fit SO WELL in the shop. Frankly, it fit well in the water. But, I carried an extra 8 lbs of lead just to offset the positive buoyancy of the rig itself. I still have it ~ 2 decades later - sitting in a closet, as an example of what not to buy. One thing I do like – you can add a crotch strap, ans it comes with two cam bands!

Zeagle Stiletto: similar in many ways to the Hollis HD-200: nice BCD; more lift (35 lbs) than you need for single cylinder diving; unnecessary padding (e.g. sewn-in lumbar pad).

Knighthawk: very nice BCD; WAY more lift than you need (45 lbs, unless you can wear a size Small). The integrated weight put the weight in front of the divers vertical midline (viewed from the side), which is exactly where you don’t want them with a back-inflate BCD when on the surface.

Seahawk: a streamlined version of the Knighthawk, with even more lift than the ‘more than enough’ you get in the Knighthawk.

TUSA Imprex Power Pro: from my perspective, the last thing you need – it is apparently designed for diving twin cylinders, with 67lbs of lift! I am curious – how did you come up with this option?

My suggestion at this point: hold off spending money for the moment. Continue to explore options. Send a PM (aka 'Start A Conversation') here on SB with Tobin, the owner of Deep Sea Supply. Or, just do a search for threads in which he has participated. You will learn a lot.

Last edited:
A lot of information, but some good stuff on here. I think your opinions sort of help confirm my thinking on bcds. As simple as the bp/w setup is, it's also complicated for a newer person. Then again, the entire process can be complicated for a newer diver. I do like my LDS and staff and want to support them, but without even starting a conversation about it I know they'll lean toward the bcds they sell and service. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd be missing out on other options out there. I think I'll definitely look toward the bp/w because you bring up excellent points such as padding, overkill on lift, etc. My end goal is to research and narrow down what I would like to try, then find an opportunity to touch it, feel it, and hopefully dive with it. I want to be conservative with my cash but not cheap. I also don't want to waste my money on gimmicks. I love the idea of a simple setup that I can use and that can grow with me as I truly need additional features.

I'll reach out to Tobin and start a little conversation with him and see where things go. As for my choice of the Tusa, I think what appealed to me was that it seemed to be one of the more "simple" back inflate bcds out there. But, being a newbie I also wouldn't know that it would have an overabundance of lift to it, and I can imagine that could be a bad thing in certain situations.

I think you will find discussions with Tobin to be instructive and valuable. One observation - he does not mince words. So, he may seem very direct, almost abrupt. That is his personal style, and no reflection on the person with whom he is having a discussion.

The problem with a BCD bladder that has a higher than needed lift capacity rating is not actually a matter of having too much lift. Rather, it is a matter of having a big bag on your back and needing to only put a small amount of air, relative to the capacity of the bag, into that bag. So, you can easily end up with an air bubble that moves around, which is why it may make establishing, and holding, good trim more challenging.

The idea of more lift sounds good - 'Hey, this baby will keep your head well above water!' But, that really isn't the feature you want or need. Sure, you want to float comfortably at the surface. But, you really want to be able to maintain good horizontal trim underwater with a minimal amount of air in a relatively small bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom