Help narrowing down BC options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you will find discussions with Tobin to be instructive and valuable. One observation - he does not mince words. So, he may seem very direct, almost abrupt. That is his personal style, and no reflection on the person with whom he is having a discussion.

Seconded. He has helped A LOT of people select the right BP/W for their diving, and he very much knows his stuff.

The scubapro *litehawk is excellent, and very minimalist. It's discontinued according to leisurepro, but they still sell them $250. If you don't want back inflated again like the litehawk look into the cressi travel light, its the one I use. Like the name implies, it folds nice and compact for travel, has way more D-rings than any diver needs, lots of straps for a snug fit and two large pockets for even more accessories. Good luck!

So you just had a kid and live in Fl, is it safe to assume you won't be doing any tech diving for a while? In keeping with your original post, here's a couple other options.

First of all the Litehawk mentioned in the previous post is the 2013 model but there's a new, not discontinued model sold by Scubapro Dealers (not LP apparently) for $414. It doesn't have the insane amount of lift the earlier model does - I have a 65 lb. doubles wing...lol. You can probably find it locally but here's one Platinum Reseller's link - Scubapro Litehawk BC

IMO a Seahawk is marketed somewhat to dive professionals who need to carry a lot of stuff on dives - hence the big pockets. I liked the Knighthawk but bought a Ranger instead, it does have a problem with the pockets tightening up once there's a tank/weight installed but only on the surface - once in the water they're fine. At the time my diving was mostly SoCal (cold) and I assumed twins - I don't do either now.

I also briefly owned a Stiletto, bought thinking it would fold small enough for a carryon - which it did if I didn't bring anything else. So I returned it b4 getting it wet.

In your situation I'd look hard at an Express Tech, it's their soft backplate minimalist design that you configure as needed. It comes with either a 24 or 35lb. wing, you can add either of their weight systems and besides their expensive pockets, DGX sells some that will also work. They're $385, $100 more with the ZipTouch weight system.

Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD

Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD with Zip Touch Weight System

Maybe a Covert also but they're less configurable but better for travel due to being under 4 lbs. May not be as important in your situation currently but it's an option - 32lbs. lift with a weight system for $453. I may buy one eventually.
Zeagle Covert BCD

A problem with the high-lift models like the 2013 Lighthawk or the Hollis is unless you're pulling up anchors, the wing creates un-needed drag in normal use.

hth, my Zeagle has seen the inside of a shop once this decade and that was only because the first service was included. I've changed inflators once to swap to their BX model which makes it easy to flush (with a garden hose). $60 plus two cable ties has been my total investment.

Last edited:
Dive RIGHT in Scuba is the online retailer. Dive RITE is an equipment manufacturer.

Hah! Online for you, maybe - right down the street for me! I only chime in and say this because I want to acklowledge the guys that work there are terrific. Joe and Auggie recently helped set me up with new HOG reg assemblies - they were both patient and extremely helpful with this noob. Dive Right In Scuba isn't just a faceless online retailer, they're awesome.

Hah! Online for you, maybe - right down the street for me! I only chime in and say this because I want to acklowledge the guys that work there are terrific. Joe and Auggie recently helped set me up with new HOG reg assemblies - they were both patient and extremely helpful with this noob. Dive Right In Scuba isn't just a faceless online retailer, they're awesome.

DRIS is my LDS, too. I drive from the NW burbs. But for most people here, they ARE online. Oh, I know Chris, Joe, and Augie pretty well. I was just in the shop last night getting fills and Joe helped me tweak something.

1. Which brands are simplest to maintain and cheapest to service?

I am not sure who you are talking to, but BCs only need to be serviced when there is something wrong. I know some dive shops recommend a yearly inspection, but that is just a money grab. The only things that can go wrong on a BC are the inflator (about $20) or one of the dumps (about $10) that is it. If you puncture the BC, very few manufacturers (if any) recommend patching the hole. Consequently, very few dive shops would be willing to do it. Can it be done? Sure but it is going to be a DIY job.

If you are looking for equipment, I recommend talking to @Jim Lapenta . He has written a new diver guide and very generously shares it with new divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom