Minimalist divers..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have a very cool Scubapro backpack harness from 1972, of course I wore it with a non-integrated BC that had a low pressure inflator. I had the advance feature of a SPG, but initially, did not have a depth guage.

Good diving, Craig

Of course if you do not want to be bothered by a backpack and regulator, you could just breath off the tank like the guy about 03:30 min into this video. www.youtube.com/watch?v=256yTHzcUwE&feature=related

BP/W
2 regs primary on 7' hose backup bungied on neck
SMB for OW (inflated with reg)
Lift Bag-depending on dive
2 lights 1 on each side of harness
3 lights in cavern (can light primary)
1 Finger spool
Sheers
Wrist mount compass (for OW worn on L wrist)
Wrist mount computer worn on R wrist
small console attached to L hip D ring
Strobe (for OW low vis or night dives attatched to tank)
400' sidewinding reel for Cavern, or wreck diving
Dive Camera (depending on dive and conditions)
1 pocket attached to waist
Contents of pocket: For OW-signal mirror, extra finger spool, storm whistle, slate, pencil sharpener, extra pencil, line arrows/ For Cavern-wetnotes, extra finger spool, line arrows,cookies, pencil sharpener, extra pencil

Your gear choices depend on the dive. You take what is most essential. If drift diving, then I really make sure I have all devices necessary to be found by the boat. All items are kept tidy and attatched to the proper areas of the harness for easy and accurate access and limited entanglement hazards. A diver should never have to second guess where their hands go and what they may or may not find. The less items to confuse a diver in a crisis the better. They should always be in the same area so that in a quick decision moment or low visibility event they can retrieve an item without looking. A diver should never have to second guess if they are reaching for their console or whatever item they need immediately depending on the situation.

Dive safe!
Carolyn:shark2:

Last edited:
Hey, L4S !!!

Miss ya and love ya, Sugah-Puddin . . ..

Back on topic . . . . good selectioni.

the k

Hey, L4S !!!

Miss ya and love ya, Sugah-Puddin . . ..

Back on topic . . . . good selectioni.

the k

TY! Miss you too Krak! Just a few more months to Spring-Spring Fest II!

I'm a minimalist and I dive in Northern California where the water is pretty cold.

One or two dives solo or with independant buddy:

Custom made 7mm wetsuit
freedom plate w/ no wing
steel tank
one single second stage with a glass & brass spg
Bottom timer
scubapro jets
Oceanic shadow mask
straight J snorkel if the dive will involve a long surface swim or if there's kelp involved and I need to do the kelp crawl.

If I'm diving with a newbie (quite often) or someone who insists on strict buddy diving protocols (very rare I dive with such people) then I use a bungeed second stage.

If the water is colder than 49 degrees then I switch to using my 1/2" (12mm) rubatex wetsuit.
If I use my thick suit then I have to add a small wing to account for the buoyancy swing.
If I plan to load up on scallops or other heavy game then I also add a wing with the thinner suit to adjust for the weight swing.

If I'm diving off a boat and there is a possibility of a current then I add a SMB. If it's foggy with the afore mentioned scenario then I add a whistle.

If I'm diving an offshore pinnacle and I absolutely need to make sure I get back to the anchor line then I add a cave reel and tie it off on the anchor chain before I wander off on my exploration.

If the dive is super deep and I know I will be getting into deco then I add doubles and the appropriate mix in a deco bottle for the dive I will be doing.

The dive picks the gear. Not every dive requires every piece of equipment you own. This idea that you have to be decked out in a standardized configurqation every time just so the configurtation becomes automatic, to me is absurd. If someone can't remember what their wearing and what kind of dive their doing then maybe they should work on memory skills before they continue diving.
The gear should fit the dive.

The dive picks the gear. Not every dive requires every piece of equipment you own. This idea that you have to be decked out in a standardized configurqation every time just so the configurtation becomes automatic, to me is absurd. If someone can't remember what their wearing and what kind of dive their doing then maybe they should work on memory skills before they continue diving.
The gear should fit the dive.

Why would a standardized setup be absurd? I have watched divers get flustered when I ask for their PSI and they are fumbling between the console, the dive light or other multiple attatchments. I have seen them get flustered trying to grab their inflator hose but can't get to it amongst other items attached to that side of the BC. The whole idea is when I reach for an item, it's automatic, I know where it is, and can actually complete the task immediately. Sometimes you have time to mess with your gear, sometimes not. Keeping things simple and comfortable for the diver to use easily, to me, makes perfect sense. Task loading, especially during rough currents, poor visibility, etc can be easier when you don't have to add gear confusion to the mix.

One of the most enjoyable dives I ever did was in warm saltwater. This is what I used:

Mask, full footfins, alum 80 and reg slung with a 1"webbing, no swimsuit :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom