Minimum Nitrox age

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone tell me why… the certification for Nitrox is at 15? :confused:

Was it an insurance deal…?
Or did the agencies just decide… we’ll just wait till they hit 15 and have their Ow certification?

Has anyone asked for and received a waiver on this topic (strange as it may seem?)

My step son will be 14 this summer and has been diving with us since he was eleven. He is Jr. Advanced Open water diver and only dives with us. Last summer he dove with us in Mexico and had a blast. We are considering a trip but I would really like us all on the same breathing gas (gee doesn’t that make sense.) His mother is PADI Master Instructor and I am a NAUI Instructor Trainer (retired.) Gear is not an issue, certification would not be an issue (if allowed.)
Instead it is an age thing…

I would not expect the outfitter to make special accommodations.
But under the situation it would be best for all parties if he is on Nitrox with us.

Again is there a defined reason?

Depth is not an issue- we impose far stricter limitations than the agencies.
And development would be nothing but an excuse.
He plays football as a defensive lineman.
If anything it has to be rough on him that both is parents are instructors.

Again any thoughts would be sincerely appreciated.
Gracias, Andrew

Andrew... Nitrox is a blend. It needs more time to age before it will develop a richness of flavor and the boquet' that appeals to most divers. 'Sorta like single malt scotch. Now with a blend.... Kids just don't watch what they are mixing together. Those blends can really mess you up.

Kids are not picky and will experiment with just about anything.
Cans of Whipped Cream, Thunderbird and Night Train Wine, Nutmeg and Banana Peals.... Shoot.. some of them will even drink Zima and wine cololers :shakehead

You name it and they will give it a try. They just would not have the educated pallet for Nitrox before the mid teens.

:D

Timeliner:
Shoot.. some of them will even drink Zima and wine cololers :shakehead

You name it and they will give it a try. They just would not have the educated pallet for Nitrox before the mid teens.

:rofl3:

You are too much Timeliner! Great response!!
I am not aware of why the age limit is 15 for EAN, as far as NAUI goes. My oldest is now old enough for the course and I will teach him this summer. My guess is insurance has something to do with it since they are minors and the gas is something other than compressed air.

Timeliner:
Andrew... Nitrox is a blend. It needs more time to age before it will develop a richness of flavor and the boquet' that appeals to most divers. 'Sorta like single malt scotch. Now with a blend.... Kids just don't watch what they are mixing together. Those blends can really mess you up.

Cans of Whipped Cream, Thunderbird and Night Train Wine, Nutmeg and Banana Peals.... Shoot.. some of them will even drink Zima and wine cololers :shakehead

:rofl3::rofl3:

I don't know where junior OW ends. But if I recall you're supposed to keep youngsters to a max depth of 60 ft. I realize there are still benefits at that depth and that I don't have my nitrox tables in front of me, but how much benefit is nitrox at 60 ft? If I recall the real benefit is around the 80-100 ft mark. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Timeliner:

there are parts of that statement that give me a headache.....:coke:

TxHockeyGuy:
I don't know where junior OW ends. But if I recall you're supposed to keep youngsters to a max depth of 60 ft. I realize there are still benefits at that depth and that I don't have my nitrox tables in front of me, but how much benefit is nitrox at 60 ft? If I recall the real benefit is around the 80-100 ft mark. Maybe this has something to do with it.

I don't have the tables in front of me either but repeditive dives at 60' would really benefit from 36.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom