Minimum purchases for holiday diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ukslim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all.

I'm newly OW qualified and not sure yet how frequently I'll be diving in future. I've never been to a tropical dive operator, so I don't know what to expect when we go on holiday.

What gear does an operator typically offer, and what gear is typically only available if you bring your own?

As it happens, I own my own snorkel, mask, fins and wetsuit - but let's make the question general and assume none of these.

What should an open water holiday diver definitely bring along? A watch? An SMB? Nothing?

At most dive locations, you can rent everything if you need to do so. But you're never sure of the condition of what you're getting. You've got the basics so that's a good start. I'd strongly recommend that you have your own reg., spg and bottom timer. Or a simple dive computer. It doesn't need to be air integrated or wireless. The Aeris XR-2 is a good example. It has basic Nitrox capability which you'll probably want down the road. There are several others.

I'd strongly consider getting used equipment, maybe off Ebay or your LDS. There is no need to spend the $$ for new. If cared for, most dive equipment is pretty durable. But insure that you get your reg. checked out by a tech before you go. Don't just put it on a bottle and breathe it. It's worth $50-75 to insure it working correctly.

If you get a computer, make sure that you're familiar with it's operation BEFORE you go. Many people arrive at their first dive and have no idea how their new computer works. I've seen it too many times.

You have what you need. Resort dive operators can rent 100% of a divers needs, which is what they do with student and discover scuba divers.

Generally divers bring their own mask, fins and snorkel, renting wetsuit, Regs & BC. Computers are optional, and in my humble opinion not really needed by occasional divers on guided tropical dives. They can also be rented.

The decision to buy vs rent is economic, and ownership might not be justified for those diving only once a year on vacation. Yes, it's nicer to know what you're getting, but there are costs to maintain equipment and possibly luggage costs for carrying it with you. BTW- Be sure to check your rental equipment in advance, before getting on a boat.

If you want to use a computer, it makes sense to own, since an unfamiliar computer is almost useless on a dive. You'll have to bring your own for any other equipment, such as SMB, slate, mask defogger (spit), etc. Also don't forget to put together a "save a dive" kit with things like spare mask and fin straps.

Last edited:
Airfare!

True vacation divers get along every day with absolutely nothing of their own. You can rent almost everything you need. Now, a safety conscious diver would likely own their own SS &/or SMB &/or whistle &/or mirror.

As for equipment, I would personally say that owning your own reg set is worthwhile because you will know that it has been serviced from what you deem to be a reputable shop. This is where I would start. As a vacation diver, a computer is likely not necessary so you can live with just a full console. Next would be the BCD, again for the service issue (but also the fit issue).

As has already been stated by other and myself, you can get away with as little as you want. It truly is what you can afford. If it means diving or not diving, then keep the money and rent. Do whatever it takes to keep you in the water doing what we all love so much.

Most dive operators in the BVI, rental gear is free is your are doing guided dives with them. But very few of them will provide you with a computer, so if you are wedded to yours, carry that along.

I don't know if this is the same elsewhere in the Caribbean.

Given travel allowances these days, I can't imagine lugging my gear to another Caribbean location unless I really, really had to.

In approximate order of importance and/or likelihood of taking on a trip (for me personally):

C-card
Mask
Computer
Light(s)
Regs
BP/Wing
Fins
SMB/spool

I suppose I should move SMB up the list.

Most of the time, I am travelling with my non-diving family which includes small children. This limits what I can bring, but my reg bag (with everything above regs on the list going in it along with my log book) gets to go.

Most operators rent everything, and rent it cheaply. In Cozumel a few years ago, it was 5 for regs, 5 for BC, and 5 for gauges. This is per person per day but still cheap. I don't know if lights are really needed. A lot of places will rent you digital cameras for a day or week and put your pictures on to a CD for you.

I don't know if lights are really needed.
needed? not usually, but I have an Oxycheq Raider I with the light sock which is great for resort diving and I like to bring it

I am off to Thailand in March from the Red Sea and I will take my computer, a mask and little else. I am happy to hire equipment where I am going but it depends on whether it is a general holiday or a dedicated diving holiday. Last February we went to the Maldives and took everything but this was a liveaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom