Minimum Watts for HID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 50w Salvo HID that I never used (meant for video lighting but I need a second and just haven't gotten around to it) but I've seen others use one in daylight in SoCal. They are bright, and over kill. You'll blind the fish on a night dive and the UFO's of Mars can see it and use as a staging area for invading earth. You might even be able to stand on the shores of Maui and signal Australia with that thing on a super clear night.

I have a 21w Salvo HID that was once my primary light. It is more or less the norm around here but I find it can cause some fish to scuttle away. When I'm on a team where everyone else will have one I'll use it.

A few months back I picked up a Hollis 16w LED can light (for a spare or loaner) but it has become my preferred light, day, night, deep, wreck whatever. It holds up pretty well to a 21w HID (not as bright, but the team can still see my beam with it) except in bright daylight but I've had very few problems with light communication using this thing in any circumstance. Fish do not scuttle away with this thing at night, either. I picked mine up new for $700 but a buddy of mine picked his up new for $450. This light is Hollis but manufactured by Light Monkey.

I have a little over 500 dives on my current (Salvo) 21W HID. It's worked just fine here in SoCal and in MA. I have a 10W HID backup that my wife used as her primary light for quite some time (before upgrading to a 21W LED). In dark waters (deep, night), both the 10W and 21W are decent. In strong sunlight (very shallow) or clear bright water (tropical), neither is all that useful. In typical local use (some ambient light, 10-30' visibility) the 21W is noticeably brighter than the 10W; either is fine, the 21W is just nicer. I personally have no need for a brighter light (ignoring video needs).

Good info. The standard light looks nice, but I'm sure won't pass with the DIR crowd. As far as the can lights go I am certainly considering the 16W now if a good deal can be had. Compared to the 21W if it's around 75% the light at half the cost it could be a good answer for me.

I find it depends on who you are diving with. I've been using an H 10w for the last 12 months or so, i love it. It was such an upgrade from my previous light. I don't dive with anyone that owns a 21w so really can't comment, as a result don't want one. Well, i don't "know" i want one! :wink:

I think if you dived with 21w divers then you'd be better with the same. They're very expensive and i didn't have the cash for a large light when i was getting mine. At the end of the day the 10w HID is a solid, robust, reliable light and i doubt any DIR diver would turn down teaming up with you due to your choice of light being a 10w, all other things being equal.

Yeah, you're probably right, but it is an extremely particular group, never know. I looked at the Hollis and discovered it is LED only. I was leaning more toward the HID, and also the 1st place I looked the Hollis was still $1000 bucks, so I'm kinda back where I started looking for a used HID, which is fine as I'm not in a rush. I'd just prefer a used 21w HID for that kind of money.

It is a bit surprising though that someone out there isn't making a 10/15 Watt HID in more of the 7-$800 range, I can't imaging the components being that expensive.

There are still 18w HID's about, they kinda formed the middle ground between 10 and 21. Don't think they're massively popular, 21w seems to be the standard with 10w as an entry level light.

Personally i'm leaning towards the H EOS LED light. The burn time is excellent and its more robust as you've no stupidly expensive bulb to worry yourself over. They lie in the middle apparently, again i've never dived one so don't really know but all the reports are pretty universal - better then a 10w, not quite as good as 21.

Lights are becoming VERY competitive now, "light for me" are really stirring things up at the moment, and they're very affordable. Some argue the tec7 or whatever you call it rivals 21w?

Who knows!

EOS or 21w HID - that's the question? :wink:

So you do want one, I knew it!:wink: And then there is the issue of battery price. How long does a well cared for batter last? I know...it is what it is, not a cheap sport, etc, etc, but I still find these lights a rip off compared to all the other fine dive equipment that can be had for equivalent money, oh well..

Ok yeah i want one...in an ideal world where i have all the money!

But i don't get upset using my 10w in the mean time, i really love it :wink:

Honestly for me it is the Halcyon LED or 21 HID. I use a lot of Halcyon gear and find it very reliable and the customer support is second to none. I can't see myself upgrading my light any time soon anyway, as you say - they are VERY expensive.

On the flip side, the 21w appears to be "industry standard" and has held that for a long time so it may be the last light you purchase. I'm no expert but a well cared battery can last years, at the end of the day as long as you do a burn test every now and again and it meets the requirements for your dive then you're fine.

I think when i start crawling into wrecks next year the EOS may be the way forward as my burn time will never be an issue.

But i can't afford it at the moment and would rather put the money into training and diving, ye olde Pro 3 will have to do!

Hope that is of no use to you what so ever..... :D

PS - a 21w Salvo just went for £400 inc p&p on ebay this week, not that expensive 2nd hand, bide your time i guess.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom