Minimum wing buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I haven't had to do this in a few years and honestly I think I've forgotten! I'm setting up a new bp/w for my friend and am trying to calculate the smallest wing I need to get her and it doesn't seem to add up. I also recalculated my rig with my 30lb wing and something isn't right there either. I'm obviously forgetting or missing something.

In MY case I use a 30lb wing on a weighted STA and SS bp. I USUALLY dive dry in an X7 HP100. When dry, I use 8lbs on my waste (which admittedly is probably about 2lbs more than I need) and when wet in a 7mm I use 4lbs though I've gone down with 0lbs on my waste but never tried that at 500 psi on a safety. I carry a can light too but for this purpose I'll say I don't.

Tank full is -10, BP/STA -10, reg -2, ballast for dry -8. That's -30 but I could have sworn when I originally chose a 30lb wing that I had some sort of buffer in the event that my dry suit rips open under water for some reason with a full tank. Okay whatever, I guess it's fine for me and I can swim up or breath big for that extra -2lbs on the can light.

FOR MY FRIEND, she just bought a drysuit so her weighting is unknown until this weekend. She normally dives 22lbs in a 7mm and AL tank in a jacket BC. We are switching her to a drysuit, bp/w, and one of my X7 HP100 tanks. That's a lot of changes.

Anyways, I'm thinking BP/STA -10, full tank -10, reg -2, ballast dry -8-12. She's 5'5", 110-120 normal athletic build. This puts her at 30-32lbs. That means I need to put her in a 32lb wing? For some reason that doesn't seem right. I figured I'd have to put her in a smaller wing, like a 25 or 28.

Of course I understand that just because she's smaller doesn't mean she will use less weight than I do but can someone clear this up for me? You're supposed to have the minimum lift to keep you from dropping like a rock (or be neutral) in the event of catastrophic dry suit failure correct?

Hi all,

I haven't had to do this in a few years and honestly I think I've forgotten! I'm setting up a new bp/w for my friend and am trying to calculate the smallest wing I need to get her and it doesn't seem to add up. I also recalculated my rig with my 30lb wing and something isn't right there either. I'm obviously forgetting or missing something.

In MY case I use a 30lb wing on a weighted STA and SS bp. I USUALLY dive dry in an X7 HP100. When dry, I use 8lbs on my waste (which admittedly is probably about 2lbs more than I need) and when wet in a 7mm I use 4lbs though I've gone down with 0lbs on my waste but never tried that at 500 psi on a safety. I carry a can light too but for this purpose I'll say I don't.

Tank full is -10, BP/STA -10, reg -2, ballast for dry -8. That's -30 but I could have sworn when I originally chose a 30lb wing that I had some sort of buffer in the event that my dry suit rips open under water for some reason with a full tank. Okay whatever, I guess it's fine for me and I can swim up or breath big for that extra -2lbs on the can light.

FOR MY FRIEND, she just bought a drysuit so her weighting is unknown until this weekend. She normally dives 22lbs in a 7mm and AL tank in a jacket BC. We are switching her to a drysuit, bp/w, and one of my X7 HP100 tanks. That's a lot of changes.

Anyways, I'm thinking BP/STA -10, full tank -10, reg -2, ballast dry -8-12. She's 5'5", 110-120 normal athletic build. This puts her at 30-32lbs. That means I need to put her in a 32lb wing? For some reason that doesn't seem right. I figured I'd have to put her in a smaller wing, like a 25 or 28.

Of course I understand that just because she's smaller doesn't mean she will use less weight than I do but can someone clear this up for me? You're supposed to have the minimum lift to keep you from dropping like a rock (or be neutral) in the event of catastrophic dry suit failure correct?

Any BC needs to offer enough lift capacity to do two things:

1) Float your rig with a full tank if you ditch it , i.e. if you and your buoyant exposure suit are no longer attached.

2) Compensate for the maximum possible change in buoyancy of your exposure suit.

Start by determining how much ballast the diver needs. Assuming the diver is neutral in their birthday suit they need ballast equal to the buoyancy of their exposure suit. Ballast is everything that does not float.

For this example I will assume a drysuit that is 24 lbs positive with minimum gas in it.

Now select components that will provide most of this ballast. SS plate and harness, negative steel tanks, etc. Plan on having ballast roughly equal to the weight of the gas in a single cylinder on the diver, not on the rig. This will be 4-8 lbs.

SS Plate and harness.......................-6 lbs

Regulator.......................................-2 lbs

HP 100, empty................................-2 lbs

Bolt on weight plates........................-8 lbs

Rig ballast total...............................-18 lbs

24 - 18 = 6 lbs in a belt.

If the rig is -18 with an empty tank it will be ~-26 with a full tank.

That makes a 30 lbs wing ok 30> 26 (rig) and 30 >24 (suit)

OTOH if one insists on hanging 100% of their ballast on their rig (no belt) then the rig will be 26 +6 = -32 lbs with a full tank. That requires a larger wing, i.e. 35-400 lbs.

Most important take away should be if you don't know how buoyant your suit is you can't make informed choices about gear and wing capacities.

Tobin

Thanks for the info Tobin!

What about a full tank? The tank full would add 8 lbs.

As Tobin pointed out, you can't size a wing properly until she does a proper weight check with her drysuit + heaviest/most buoyant undergarment.
A critical distinction in wing lift sizing (once again pointed out by Tobin) is where the ballast (lead weight) is attached.
If it's attached to the BP/W, then this will increase the minimum wing lift required because the wing needs to be able to float the rig without the diver at the surface.
If it's attached to the diver herself (in the form of a weight belt or weight harness), then the wing isn't "responsible" for floating that ballast at the surface once the diver separates herself from the rig.

This weekend, for the purposes of getting some of these issues squared away, I recommend that your friend start off with a 30 lb. lift wing for her BP/W setup.

Your friend should work on the following two things:

1. Conduct a proper weight check in the drysuit.
Elements of a drysuit weight check include:
  • Having enough gas inside the drysuit to offset squeeze
  • Being in horizontal trim (to prevent unintentional escape of gas inside the drysuit)
  • At a shallow depth (safety stop depth or shallower; I prefer just below the surface)
  • With a "medium" breath
  • Ensuring that no gas is in the wing
  • Compensating for any remaining gas in the tank.
2. Figure out weight distribution that promotes static horizontal trim. This will be a work-in-progress for her.
  • Start off with all of the lead weight (ballast) attached to the diver in the form of a weight belt or weight harness. She will probably be head-up/feet-down.
  • Start shifting the weight in small increments to two trim weight pockets positioned on the tank cambands. I'm a big fan of the XS Scuba weight pockets that thread onto cambands nicely. She can try (1) both weight pockets on the top camband or (2) one weight pocket on the top camband and one on the bottom camband. It probably won't be very helpful to have both weight pockets on the bottom camband.
This is the strategy I employed with one of my dive buddies when he first got his drysuit. His weighting and trim were surprisingly close to being dialed in after a short 10 minute weight check session. It took him a handful of dives to get used to managing the drysuit bubble. At first, he was reluctant to run enough gas inside the suit due to fear of uncontrolled ascent. For this reason, the squeeze made him uncomfortable and he wasn't very warm. With experience, he learned to trust the drysuit exhaust valve and run more gas inside the suit.
If your friend has good trim as a wetsuit diver, she should pick up drysuit operation rather quickly.

Good luck with everything.

She will do fine with a 28-30lb lift wing, then work on fine tuning the weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom